Fixing Joists !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all I am asking for some advice/experience in regard to fixing joists to existing masonry.

Basically I am converting my double garage and the joists will run from the existing house wall to a steel and then from a steel to the existing garage wall. In essence both walls are existing at joist height so I need to fix to the walls rather than build in.

Do I fix a wall plate and fix my hangers off that or do I go for hangers that are bolted straight on to the walls. Fixing a wall plate and then hangers seems to be more of a faff or am I looking at it wrong ?

Sponsored Links
Fix plate to wall (same section size as joists) and nail hangers to it, not a faff at all
Or some people chop joist sized slots out of the wall but I prefer the above

I guess it would be fixed with coach bolts or similar ?

Through bolt/sleeve anchor type things. I tend to just screw in place initially to get it level then add the heavy duty fixings between joists later

Sponsored Links
Do you opt for a wall plate as opposed to hangers straight to masonry just because the hangers are easier to level ? I am using 47 mm x 195 mm joists so I would use the same for the wall plate ?

Yeah and a better fixing, how would you surface fix hangers to existing masonary?
Yes same for plate

There are hangers you can get that bolt straight in to the block work and I wasn't sure which would be easier.

Miles easier to fix wall plate in my opinion.
Only issue sometimes crops up if you then realise you want big pipes/extractor duct going through it. (y)

Miles easier to fix wall plate in my opinion.

On the odd occasion my hangers have been too long so I've fitted them to the wall plate before putting the wall plate on the wall so that they wrap down the back of the plate too. Ever encountered that? I wonder if my method is OTT compared to buying smaller hangers or cutting the excess off.

On the odd occasion my hangers have been too long so I've fitted them to the wall plate before putting the wall plate on the wall so that they wrap down the back of the plate too. Ever encountered that? I wonder if my method is OTT compared to buying smaller hangers or cutting the excess off.
I think that’s how you’re meant to do it, yeah. I might not have gone that far, I’m obv not as thorough as you ;)
Square twist nails are pretty good for staying put tho so all good

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back