Dining room/ kitchen knock through

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking into knocking through our kitchen and dining room to make one open plan space. I am just getting my head around what I need to do r.e. a structural engineer/ building regs.

The wall that needs removing is a supporting wall, and has a chimney breast as part of it. I will also be bricking up the current external back door in the kitchen and an internal door connecting the kitchen to the hall. Another job that needs doing is replacing the concrete lintel above the kitchen window.

Am I right in thinking I first need to get a structural engineer in to discuss options for the chimney breast removal (whether to remove the whole stack or just the downstairs breast) and then do the calcs for RSJs/ pad stones etc. Once done do I then get a builder in to quote off the engineers specs? Do I then submit an application to building control or would a builder do that?

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you've got a chimney breast above where the RSJ is going, then that'll make the wall heavier, so either the chimney breast comes out in the 1st floor, or you take it out completely. Obviously this doesn't affect your neighbours, so you can redo the roof quite easily. What you need to decide, is which option is worse, or cheapest. Taking out the chimney and reroofing, or putting in a support in the loft; I'd be inclined to remove completely and take away any ongoing chimney issues.

The SE will give you a set of calculations, but may not give any drawings, but it's not a complicated setup for a builder to follow. You can submit the BC apllication yourself, and you can draw a simple set of plans as well.

If you are working on a party wall, then the PW Act will apply.

You can get your builder to deal with building control and do all the paperwork if you specifiy it when you get quotes - and the builder accepts. Some will, some wont, some will mess it up. But it's ultimately your responsibility

You wont need plans for building control - you use what is called a Building Notice.

Weigh up the costs of the engineer, steelwork and messing about, with that of complete removal of all or part and gallow brackets in the loft or bedroom.

Thanks everyone,

I’ve contacted building control to get their input. The wall/ chimney are not on the party wall so no issues with Party Wall Act. Yes will see what is cheaper, don’t mind the mess of getting the whole stack ripped out if easier.

Thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
We did something similar in that we had a wall dividing our kitchen with a hall that also had a chimney supported on it. We decided to take the entire chimney out as it was less hassle in the long run and the cost was pretty much the same for supporting it. Good luck with your project.

If you are thinking of getting in three builders for quotes you could specify what you want in terms of end result and then put 'all work to be done to current building regulations'.

Btw you do also need to think about the floors both in terms of supporting the new internal wall, the levels and insulation. Also the water supply if it's lead.

Don't pay money upfront and make sure you get a completion certificate at the end.

If you are thinking of getting in three builders for quotes you could specify what you want in terms of end result and then put 'all work to be done to current building regulations'.

Btw you do also need to think about the floors both in terms of supporting the new internal wall, the levels and insulation. Also the water supply if it's lead.

Thanks everyone,

Footsoldier888 - What do you mean re. supporting new internal wall, do you mean if I was to close up the old kitchen/ hall door? If so can I not just build a stud wall between or are there additional regs as is a kitchen? Floors are level between the 2 rooms. Regarding insulation it is a 1950s build, all suspended wood floors, surely if I am not altering the floor in any significant way I wouldn't have to insulate it to meet current regs?

Also yes current supply is lead, would this need changing?

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited:
Dan - if the wall is parallel to the joists you have to double up the joists generally. If it goes across then you might have to put some noggins in to strengthen.

Sorry I don't know the regs re insulation on suspended floors.

As for lead most people opt to change because of the health issues with lead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back