Kitchen/dining room knock through

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a brick wall between kitchen and dining room.

I have a builder I know who said £3kish to remove and tidy up. Possibly more if it needs “goalpost” ie structural support with foundation footing.

the builder advised me to get a structural engineer to do the calcs.

the next door neighbour did his own, put his own steel in and said “it’s a days work” and even offered to do it with me. I am a bit worried about this. No insurance etc. I asked if you need an engineer and he kind of laughed it off, I said “surely when you come to sell” they are going to query it, but he seemed to think they won’t!

he also said that although it’s brick, it’s not a supporting wall. I don’t really understand this. If it needs a steel, surely it’s supporting and not a stud partition?

To do this properly, I presume I need a structural engineer first. Then I tender this to builders? How to ensure its all ticking boxes for resale etc. How do I do this properly, can you explain process?

do I get the engineer in and get my neighbour to do it? I kind of don’t want the job being done by someone with no insurance etc

Sponsored Links
If you want someone with insurance then don't use your neighbour. Get a structural engineer to do the drawings/calcs. Show the drawings to the builders and ask for a quote, make sure they stick to the engineers designs. Finally get the building inspector to sign it off.

If you want someone with insurance then don't use your neighbour. Get a structural engineer to do the drawings/calcs. Show the drawings to the builders and ask for a quote, make sure they stick to the engineers designs. Finally get the building inspector to sign it off.

thanks, I have a structural engineer doing just that right now.

one other point, I am a leaseholder and pay a tiny ground rent. Anyone know if I can do this kind of work without permission or is it a “check your deeds” type thing?

Check your deeds. Re the wall, what is above it? Another brick wall or some partition walls or nothing at all?

Sponsored Links
So I got the plans back.

He said without a goalpost I can remove about 8ft which opens it up nicely. However, I would like it opened up more but this would need a goalpost.

the job I have he said that builders probs would charge £1500 - £2000 but others I know who’ve had this done say knocking a wall through and putting a steel in is min £2,500. I’m in south west, anyone comment on this?

the builder I spoke to said putting a goal post in is about another £1800 in materials plus labour so I would guess approaching an extra £4k for this. About right?

am getting several quotes. It seems builders are very busy at the mo so that’s not good on cost side of things!

You'll be waiting at least 2 to 3 months for anyone competent to have a gap in their diary. Knockthroughs aren't that difficult but they have to be done right, if they aren't then bad things can happen. Talk to neighbours, people at work, anyone in your social group who has had similar scale works done, get some names off them. Checkatrade etc. are very unreliable as sources for trades- despite the names and blurb there is little or no checking on quality of work.

You'll be waiting at least 2 to 3 months for anyone competent to have a gap in their diary. Knockthroughs aren't that difficult but they have to be done right, if they aren't then bad things can happen. Talk to neighbours, people at work, anyone in your social group who has had similar scale works done, get some names off them. Checkatrade etc. are very unreliable as sources for trades- despite the names and blurb there is little or no checking on quality of work.

Aren’t they insured? I just got them off yell.com.

They might have public liability insurance but that'll be about it. Have a look on Companies House, see how long they've been trading- any guarantees will usually last at most the lifetime of the company. With structural stuff, a real structural engineer will have professional indemnity cover (so if his design is at fault you are protected) but if the installation is not to the specifications then you're out of luck ...talk to people who have had work done recently (check your councils' website for live planning permissions), find out who they used & how it went.

They might have public liability insurance but that'll be about it. Have a look on Companies House, see how long they've been trading- any guarantees will usually last at most the lifetime of the company. With structural stuff, a real structural engineer will have professional indemnity cover (so if his design is at fault you are protected) but if the installation is not to the specifications then you're out of luck ...talk to people who have had work done recently (check your councils' website for live planning permissions), find out who they used & how it went.

The first guy who is quoting, can’t find them on companies house. No reviews in online space but trading since 2000. Website fairly good with examples of work. Seem like a proper firm.

How does it work these days. I am inclined not to pay anything till the work is done. Is that how it works?

when I did labouring for a mates small business doing paving the customers tended to pay us at the end of each day.

I presume am in my rights to only pay once it’s done?

as for other guys, I have one mate who can’t do the work this year other than that I don’t know anyone

The first guy who is quoting, can’t find them on companies house. No reviews in online space but trading since 2000. Website fairly good with examples of work. Seem like a proper firm.

How does it work these days. I am inclined not to pay anything till the work is done. Is that how it works?

when I did labouring for a mates small business doing paving the customers tended to pay us at the end of each day.

I presume am in my rights to only pay once it’s done?

as for other guys, I have one mate who can’t do the work this year other than that I don’t know anyone

Are there any extensions etc going on in your road or very near -go and have a chat with the builder -you will find tradesmen have contacts and they know who is good and who is a cowboy.
or go in to your local builders merchant ands ask them for some names

the problem for the general public is that good tradesmen dont advertise -they are too busy getting work from networking, mates, referrals, old customers.

Avoid online tradesmen sites like the plague -seriously avoid, however good the reviews

Are there any extensions etc going on in your road or very near -go and have a chat with the builder -you will find tradesmen have contacts and they know who is good and who is a cowboy.
or go in to your local builders merchant ands ask them for some names

the problem for the general public is that good tradesmen dont advertise -they are too busy getting work from networking, mates, referrals, old customers.

Avoid online tradesmen sites like the plague -seriously avoid, however good the reviews

i just went off the yellow pages.
Not a tradesmen site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back