Warrenty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder is due to start building works involving doing an extension, gutting my kitchen and redoing it. The project involves some structural work where 2 supporting walls are removed and steels are fitted. it's all been done properly with an architect and a structural engineer. How many years warranty is normally offered by the builder for this sort of building works?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
12 months.

But it could be 12 years, and it won't be any use if he goes bust a day after the job is finished.

Look for an insurance backed warranty.

You do have six years statutory time period for latent defects. But you would need to pursue this yourself in the civil court.

Look for an insurance backed warranty.
Thanks Woody. Can I ask a couple of questions? My builder's paperwork says he has liability insurance up to £2,500,000. London Building Control is supervising the project and will sign it off assuming it's all dandy. Does that include the insurance backed warranty?

Sponsored Links
It looks like the builder has standard liability insurance, which only applies to events during the work phase - injury or damage. It is not a warranty for the completed work.

Don't be led into a false sense of security by building control's job. All they do is check for compliance with the building regulations, and they are not there for your interests. They will only make three or four visits to check a few basic items. They won't check the work generally, and they will not check quality.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back