Federation of Master Builders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My father is having an extension built. After getting quotes from a list of builders recommended by the architect and going to see their work and talk to their clients he has decided on one to use. The firm has offered him the option of purchasing a Mastercare warrenty from the Fed. Master Builders for 1.5% of the cost (£40k so £600) that insures him.

I told him it sounded like good value. Has anyone had experience of these warrenties? Any advice or tips when hiring a builder would be appriciated (we have never hired a builder before!).

Thanks in advance.......

Sponsored Links
My only advice would be to read the warranty cover in minute detail so that you know exactly what you're getting for your money. Some of them only provide cover for design/major structural faults and and are incredibly difficult to claim off.

Some things you think would be OK are not covered e.g. water ingress, so check carefully.

Some warranties with the right cover appear pretty good but then again, hopefully you won't ever have to claim.

Also bear in mind that the Masterbond warranty only covers the works carried out and upto the value of the contract not any damage done to the rest of your property.
You already have a right in law to have works carried out to a stisfactory and competent level and your builder should be insured to cover injury to anyone or damage to your property.
So why should you be asked to pay.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the comments guys. The builder is going round my Dad's house tonight. I've told him to get the terms and conditions of the warrenty and the contract. I'll send it to my lawyer friend for a once over!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back