How to reduce risk during building work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I haven't had any building work done before and now we're having an outbuilding put up (4m x 5m). It's just a builder involved so no architect etc so presumably there won't be proper plans drawn up. After hearing various cases of rogue builders, I think I've done due diligence and found someone I trust based on recommendations. Still, I'm aware other things can go wrong: personal problems derailing them from work, mismatched expectations and so on. I'm wondering how to reduce the chances of problems.

I think specifically:

• how to we ensure expectations match delivery?
  • should i expect a builder to just put up a structure based on their experience, rather than having plans drawn up ahead of time?
  • what do we need to think about up front?
  • who should a builder be registered with?
  • what protections do we have? What if there's a problem down the road, or if the building doesnt meet spec (e.g. roof is over 2.5m and therefore violates the building regs or whatever)
  • should we expect a contract and if so, what should it specify?
  • is it normal to pay at certain milestones? what might those be for an outbuilding.
  • what does membership of the Federation of Master Builders REALLY mean? is it trustworthy?
  • if they're insured, what should I expect that to cover?

Any help would be great.

Alternatively, if this isn't the best forum for questions like this please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Make your own sketch with measurements and give it to the builder, better in an email so to leave a trace.
Make sure he has public liability insurance, if he's got it he won't have any problem showing it to you.
You can call the insurance to be sure it's still active.
Write in an email the payment agreement, weekly usually with final payment at the end.
Be present and use your spirit level and tape measure.
Apart from that, make him tea and serve it with biscuits or cakes and all should go well.
Federation of master bodgers means nothing.
I've seen work done by "qualified tradesmen" which needed taken down and done again.

Thanks for raising very helpful points. I'll update my plan based on this and might be back with more questions! Cheers

Staged payments arranged with your builder after the completion of key elements of the build, ie...up to dpc, foundations in, services etc, 2nd stage up to wallplate, 3rd roof windows floor etc.
4th payment on completion....Always paid in arrears so if builder walks you are not out of pocket.

Sponsored Links
Federation of master bodgers means nothing.
I've seen work done by "qualified tradesmen" which needed taken down and done again.

It is just basically an association where builders have to pay a subscription, to have their logo on their paperwork. It doesn't guarantee quality work, or even competent work will be done.

You can't just have someone come to build "an outbuilding" without both of you knowing and agreeing some sort of design or specification. Do you even know what colour it will be that you'll be staring at for the next few decades? What are you paying for, never mind when?

A contract is just an agreement, it does not even need to be in writing, but it can be anything that you both agree to, and it does not matter who writes it if you are going down that route. It can be 4 lines, or 4 pages whatever you think needs to be in there, but don't go down the route of writing a load of verbose nonsense for the sake of it. Keep it basic and to the point - what's to be done, start and end dates, payment and payment schedule, working times, who supplies what, guarantee periods, retention and refer to other plans and specifications which become the "contract documents". Also agree how any additional work is to be valued (day or hourly rate, or quote), otherwise you are held to ransom when you want or need changes. There are several standard "homeowner" type building contracts available.

Complying with statutory regulations is implied, but you should clarify that you both know this, and don't both of you expect that the other person will be applying for or paying for permissions.

If you want it built to any specific standards then you also need to specify this.

The builder just needs to be competent. He does not need any poxy membership that he has just paid a few hundred pounds for to display a badge. Memberships are no guarantee of competency, of financial stability or that he wont just rip you off.

Never pay more than the value of the work completed or materials delivered to site. But be aware that builders have bills to pay and wages to cover, so deposits or paying for materials in advance (pay the supplier not the builder) is common to help him out.

Insurance is typically for any damage whilst he his working on site. If you want the work to have a meaningful guarantee, then the builder needs to provide you with an "insurance backed warranty" - but you will be paying for that within a higher quote. You are actually protected in law for any damages or guarantee for the work, via the County Court.

This type of work should be done mainly on trust. But the less trust you have the more formal you should make your agreement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back