Moving into house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am moving into a house which has been unoccupied for just over twelve months, is there anything I need to look out for in terms of waste/soil pipes being dried out or any other potential plumbing issues?

TIA

Chris

Sponsored Links
Not really, just run the taps and check everything works a expected.

Over 12 months - I would be looking at the type of hot water system and maybe speak to your local water undertaker as they may suggest disinfection of the pipes.

If emptying tanks and running taps, try not to create an aerosol (a fine mist) of water or spray, where you empty it.
I.e. running off water through the showerhead would be a bad idea! :)
If there is a risk of spray, wearing a simple dust mask can mitigate against the small risk of infection from legionella and any other bacteria in the system.

If you have a boiler, it's worth having it serviced and safety checked before you use it.
And any tanks you drain can be disinfected and cleaned.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

Its a recently serviced oil-fired boiler, no tanks as its combi boiler.

I'll give the shower head a good spray with Mr Muscle bathroom cleaner before running anything through it and I'll run the other taps first (for a good while before I fill the kettle for a cuppa)

Thanks again for your help.

If emptying tanks and running taps, try not to create an aerosol (a fine mist) of water or spray, where you empty it.
I.e. running off water through the showerhead would be a bad idea! :)
If there is a risk of spray, wearing a simple dust mask can mitigate against the small risk of infection from legionella and any other bacteria in the system.

If you have a boiler, it's worth having it serviced and safety checked before you use it.
And any tanks you drain can be disinfected and cleaned.
maybe flush loos with lids down first?

maybe flush loos with lids down first?
Saw a programme a number of years ago. They had a guy wearing a light blue, absorbent paper, pair of trousers and replicated him having a pee. They directed the stream of water into the water in the pan first, then another test directing it against the back and a third test directing it against the sides. In all the tests his trouser legs got spattered by spray back but not to a great extent.
They then had him standing next to the toilet while they flushed it, (wearing different pair of trousers), and the spray that covered him this time was phenomenal. It actually reached as high as the waistband on the trousers.
So, as you say, always put the lid down when you flush.

I remember the first time I used a urinal while wearing shorts. ****ing all over your own legs!

A mate owns a bathroom shop/showroom...
Bloke comes in and complains that he gets pee all over himself when sitting on the loo as it comes out between seat and pan rim.
"What can I get to stop it?" he asks my mate.
"A longer cõck" replies my mate.

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back