Moving light pendant - extending the cable question

G

gcltd

Hi, I'm moving 2 bedroom light pendants to the centre of the rooms, could someone please advise what connection/junction box I need to use when I extend the existing cable?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
The best option is always to entirely replace cables with longer ones, rather than extend.

You should either make sure it's accessible in which case you can use a normal screw terminal in a round junction box enclosure, as seen in b&q etc. Also make sure the cables are clipped down and it's secure.

Alternatively if it won't be accessible then you need a maintenance free connection which probably best to use wago push fit in a proper wagobox. I think you can get them at screw fix and other places.

If you're handy with crimpers or soldering you can do that and heat shrink, but not everyone agrees with crimping.

Or as above, if the cable is easy to replace then just do that.

The best option is always to entirely replace cables with longer ones, rather than extend.

Seriously?

What if one of the cables that needs extending originates in the CU on a different floor and at the far end of the building?

Sponsored Links
It's likely that your light is fed from a ceiling rose so it might be worth taking pictures and marking cables before you move or dismantle what's there. Chances are if you are moving the pendants to the centre from there existing position by a window? Then they will probably need shortening if you're lucky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back