Moving loft insulation to create a warm roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the planning stages of boarding out my loft for storage purposes, if I were to insulate at rafter level to the 0.18 u value would that I mean I could remove the extra 170mm insulation that's currently running across the joists below?

Also, has anyone ran into any problems with building control signing off on using superquilt?

Sponsored Links
So you want all the heat from the house to escape into a cold loft? Not very wise in light of the cost of energy nowadays.

The 100mm in between the joists would be left there, would that be sufficient? Also, the loft would be insulated to required standard of a warm loft so the heat would not be lost.

The 100mm in between the joists would be left there, would that be sufficient? Also, the loft would be insulated to required standard of a warm loft so the heat would not be lost.
It does not work like that.

The heat will escape from the rooms below as if there was no insulation. The loft won't be warmed up like you think as the heat loss from the insulation is greater than the heat input, so it's a cold house and a cold loft. Worse off both worlds.

Sponsored Links
It does not work like that.

The heat will escape from the rooms below as if there was no insulation. The loft won't be warmed up like you think as the heat loss from the insulation is greater than the heat input, so it's a cold house and a cold loft. Worse off both worlds.
Right got you, keep the blanket insulation and use loft legs or similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back