Moving optima compact alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved into a new house and the alarm box is in a really unattractive location. I'm wanting to move this out of the way but still keep it as it remains fully operational.

I have the code, and I've had it go into tamper which I can cancel with the same code. I also have the engineers manual so know what the engineer code is.

If I was to move this, how would I go about it? I presume there's the main voltage feed into the unit then each sensor will be wired in. Will i have to go into engineer mode, turn off the mains then disconnect each of the sensors/ live feed? I presume doing so will not activate the alarm as I'm in engineer mode?

The internal battery does work but if I was in engineer mode would disconnecting this even matter? I want to avoid the external alarm sounding.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's hard wired.You either extend existing cables or pull back wiring,if possible.
Not easy to move existing hard wired systems.
Post photo of control in current position, this may please with advise on moving.

Room is currently stripped in preparation! I'd ideally like to move it to the far wall closer to the roof. I presume the feeds are directly down as the wall it's on now is a stud.
20221106_192041.jpg

Ignore the terrible electrics and exposed pipework. This will also be rectified!

Sponsored Links
No fuse spur ? What’s on the other side of that wall ?
There's nothing on the other side other than a radiator and plug socket.

There is a fused spur on the floor in the porch but this is not for the alarm.

What's behind control panel?
You will need to extend most of existing cabling, possibly better to rewire or go with new wireless system.optima panels not made any more.

What's behind control panel?
You will need to extend most of existing cabling, possibly better to rewire or go with new wireless system.optima panels not made any more.
I've not had the panel off. Extending the cabling is not a problem, I just want to know the correct order of doing it?

I do not want the external alarm to sound.

We don't use the alarm so I wouldn't be replacing it but as it works absolutely fine I don't want to remove it.

External bell box should ring if it has been installed correctly and SAB in working order.
The sounder may sound or may not.Only way to check is then off power to alarm and disconnect battery.
Battery may also be faulty.

External bell box should ring if it has been installed correctly and SAB in working order.
The sounder may sound or may not.Only way to check is then off power to alarm and disconnect battery.
Battery may also be faulty.
I've had the power off to the alarm for a few hours and the alarm didn't sound. So I presume the battery is working.

My question still stands, if I go into engineer mode then disconnect the mains power and each sensor will the bellbox sound? I presume the bellbox is wired in too so will also need to be disconnected which will make it sound?

I can test with your method of removing external battery but I wanted to avoid the bellbox ringing if at all possible

Just getting back to this and I have the front panel off the control panel. My battery is only outputting 6v, its meant to be 12v. Does this mean if I remove the battery its unlikely the outside siren will sound?

For people looking back at this, I removed the battery and nothing sounded. Presume the outdoor siren died on battery power a long time ago.

What is the aux power output on control panel and battery voltage without battery connected.
Control panel may be knackered, not worth moving?

What is the aux power output on control panel and battery voltage without battery connected.
Control panel may be knackered, not worth moving?
It all worked as intended when directly mains fed but when the power went off it was just dead. The battery was measuring 6V so presume the external siren died also on its backup?

I've decided not to move it anyway. I'll just go to a wireless system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back