Advantage ZX6 control panel stuck in tamper mode

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just tried to change the battery in my Advantage ZX6 alarm control panel.

I took the cover off.
The alarm went in to tamper mode
I entered the 4 digit engineers code
The alarm remained in tamper mode
I also entered the 4 digit user code
The alarm remained in tamper mode
After twenty minutes of trying various combinations of keys in conjunction with either the engineers code or the user code I then attempted a factory reset by removing power shorting out the NVM pins and re applying power for three seconds. The alarm remained in tamper mode.

Eventually I disconnected mains power the battery in the control unit and the battery in the bell box. The alarm is currently not operational.

On removing the cover I was of the belief all I had to do was to enter the 4 digit engineer code to take the unit out of tamper mode. Does anyone know if this is the case or is there additional keys that have to be pressed.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Did you put the cover back on correctly ? Or has the spring come off the tamper switch ? Bottom right hand corner of the pcb

Hi sparkymarka

Thanks for the reply.

I successfully replaced the battery about seven years but don't have a note of exactly what procedure I followed.

When I took the cover off the control unit the buzzer went off very loudly. I was working on the assumption that entering the engineers code would silence this. I dont live at the flat were the alarm is fitted anymore but my mum still does. My plan was to remove the battery, take it to Screwfix and ask for for another one like that then fit the new one. I was reluctant to leave my mum in the flat with the alarm going off and the fact that I couldn't silence it made me think I was doing the wrong thing or it had developed a fault, so I decided to call a halt to the process by disconnecting all power, in the hope of getting some information on here.

The spring is still on the tamper switch. Are you saying I should have been holding the spring in whilst attempting to enter the engineers code with the cover off, in order to silence it?

Once the alarm has actived you need a user code not engineer code to silence ( on most panels ) the engineer code would normally be used before taking off the lid to the panel

Sponsored Links
So it looks like where I went wrong was in not entering the engineers code prior to removing the cover.

Someone I spoke to about this also told me that in order to silence the alarm I should have put the front panel back on again and entered the user code.

Thanks again sparkymarka.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back