Moving power sockets

Sponsored Links
Yes, as long as your circuit is already a 2.5mm² ring or 2.5mm² radial, and not a 4mm² radial for example.

So... the plot thickens . I'd like to move the first socket in the circuit but the cable coming from the fuse box isn't long enough. It is in an awkward position above a steal beam which means the wires coming up from the floor cavity are in the way of the floorboards that i am laying. Is there a safe to extend the cable with a junction box or by any other means? If so, what do i need to get to extend it?
IMG_20190428_153247722.jpg

Sponsored Links
Nope. The "maintenance free" is the important part of the one I linked to, as the joint is going to end up not being 'accessible'.

I obviously can't see the whole room, but, surely, if you are moving sockets further apart, the socket in the picture would have to move to the right, so the wire would be long enough.

Can you not leave it where it is and just install extra ones?

I obviously can't see the whole room, but, surely, if you are moving sockets further apart, the socket in the picture would have to move to the right, so the wire would be long enough.
there's a door to the right of the sicket
Can you not leave it where it is and just install extra ones?
That was the plan before I realised that the floorboard won't fit with the cable laid over the steel beam

Last edited:
I cut a whole in the brickwork for the new socket box and a piece of a brick broke leaving a jagged chasm that is impossible to drill into, the drill keeps sleeping all over the place. What can I use to tidy op the hole so I can then drill into it with a hammer frill to screw the box into the wall

Last edited:
A cold chisel, a lump hammer and some safety glasses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back