Moving radiator on unvented system: advice sought

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I plan to move a radiator in my bathroom this weekend.
I have a 3 storey house with a unvented heating system and megaflow water cylinder (and what looks like the megaflow provided ancilary plumbing for a unvented heating system around the megaflow unit - pressure vessel, two 2 way valves (1 for water, 1 for CH,) manual bleed screw, filling loop, pump, ...)

System is 2.5 years old. I've removed a number of individual radiators over time as i've decorated, to paint/fit heat reflective foil behind them, so i'm happy with charging/bleeding the system.

The bathroom is on the first floor, and the downstairs radiators are all on inverted loops.

The bathroom radiator is on the hot water control loop with the megaflow heat input and the other bathroom radiators (one on the top floor, the other also on the 1st floor) which all have TRVs.

Am I correct in thinking that this doesn't help in the extent of the drain down that I need to perform, as the returns from both sets of radiators (bathroom and others) will be connected anyway and so water will flow between them no matter what I turn off?

When I refill after draining, am i likely to need to use the manual bleed screw on the central heating pipework attached to the megaflow to get the last of the air out, or is it a no touch!? It is at the highest point in the pipework and above the pump.

Should I be worried about moving the radiator myself? I am a competent(!) DIYer.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Sponsored Links
You should expect to use all bleed points, that's what they're for after all. I don't see any problem with bleeding the Megaflow heating pipe. If you have to alter any of the pipes connected to the high pressure side of the Megaflow, DON'T. This would be a registered operator exercise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back