moving rooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is a 1930s 2 bed , walking through the front door the stairs are more or less in front of you the lounge is front window to back window to the left , to the immediate right is a small bathroom , further along to the right is the kitchen on the back , can I move the wall between the two rooms further to the back & put the bathroom there & then have the kitchen at the front ?
and if so how much would this cost for plumbing , building , plastering etc , fitting the kitchen cupboards together etc are ok as boyfriends a joiner ( wish he was a builder ) will it take a lot of work and a lot of time ? could we do it ourselves & just get relevant tradesmen in ie plummers plasterers .
should we just move house ?

Sponsored Links
Practically anything is possible but weather or not you can easily & relatively cheaply move the wall depends if it's structural or not - i.e. supporting the ceiling joists, upstairs walls or even part of the roof; impossible to say without seeing it.

There is the cost of swapping all the building services around & this could be significant or even a major problem with the drainage but it depends on the present layout. The work will also involve some fairly expensive trades some of which must be registered; the work is also notifyable Building Works so it will involve Building Regulations, inspections & a fee + all of the agro of living in amongst all the work, dust & **** going on around you in what sounds like a fairly small property; & it always takes much longer than you thought it would. I’ve done it twice so far in my life (the first time was a small 2 bed property) & living on what basically will be a building site is something not to be taken lightly; even more so if you have any children.

You need to decide what advantages & how much benefit the changes will give you. Unless the house needs renovating or the changes offer added benefits/value, it could just turn out to be a very expensive way of swapping 2 rooms around. It may be better to just sell up & find somewhere else that better suits your needs but it’s something only you can judge. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back