moving stopcock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First, a little backstory... please bear with me.. feel free to skip the bit in italics to get to the problem.

I have just bought a flat and started to "redecorate" the kitchen.

It started as just stripping wallpaper and removing an upper cupboard and section of counter to fit a fridge freezer ( used to have 2 under counter.. no way i was crawling on hands and knees for a beer from the back of the fridge ).

It soon escalated into ripping up the grotty and poorly laid "lino" and removing chunks of plaster ( only the paper was holding it in places.. )

Upon removing the "lino" from where the new fridge will be, i found that there was once a wall there, probably a cupboard for the old boiler.

Unfortunately, the wall held the incoming water pipe, as well as the hot / cold pipes to the boiler and large tank in the loft.

The water pipe has been run along the groove in the concrete floor ( first floor flat, concrete floor between ) where the wall has been cut out, then up the wall to a stopcock using compression elbows etc..

The problem i have is that it will be under / behind the new fridge.

There is a void in the floor that runs to the right ( relatively speaking, looking with the groove away from you ) for about a meter, under a cabinet in the corner where the gas meter is located, with the boiler above..

Can I move the stopcock into the cabinet by running the pipe in the floor void and if so can I then concrete the pipe into the floor to level it for tiling?

I already know that I need to turn the water off in the street, and will change the compression fittings to solder type.

Can I use plastic push fit? this would make it easier to run through the void and save me having to chase the whole void out and would also remove one joint since it's flexible..

Sponsored Links
Yes, although the stopcock is supposed to be as close to the pipes point of entry into the property as is practicably possible.

If you are going to concrete the pipe into the floor then it needs to be in a duct so that:
a) Pipe can be readily removed/replaced in event of a leak.
b) Chemicals in the cement don't react with the pipework causing it to fail/leak.
c) Pipe is protected from the concrete mechanically. It will flex/vibrate ever so slightly when water is flowing through it. It is possible for a pipe to get worn through over time- which if its set in concrete takes you back to (a).

Why do you want to move the stopcock in the first place? As long as the fridge/freezer isn't going to be bolted down to the floor (and isn't impossible to move) then leave the stopcock where it is. If you ever need it then move the fridge.

the stopcock sticks out about 3 inches, meaning the fridge would then also stick out past the counter top about 3 inches..

If you are feeling brave you could loosen both nuts and rotate the stoptap a bit which will give you a bit more clearance.

Make sure it will still turn though and be ready to turn the mains off outside in the event of an emergency.

Might be better to get someone in :D

Sponsored Links
there is a round void in the concrete floor packed with something that resembles rockwool..

this it where i would run the pipe..
just cut a channel into it from above for getting the pipe in.. no need to "pack it out" for vibration protection as the void is much larger than the pipe..

the channel would run under a kitchen cabinet and be covered with vinyl tiles

I might just put a board down onto the floor to put the fridge onto ( one of the feet falls right over the hole the pipe is in.. )

I just want to get rid of the 3 compression elbows and replace with 1 solder joint and a bend in the pipe.. ( up the wall to the tap.. )

would a ring solder joint be any good for this as it is in a hole and awkward to get to to solder.. i foresee many a burnt finger...

getting back to my other question..
can I use plastic pipe and push fittings for this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back