Internal Water Mains Stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to move my stopcock for the water mains in my house, its currently under a window were the sink used to be. I plan to remove the window and fit doors and resite the sink which covered the stopcock and piping.

My question being, can I move the stopcock to the cupboard under my stairs, basically pipe up through floorboards into a stopcock and back under floot boards so I have easy access to isolate it.

One potential problem is my consumer unit it in the cupboard, but its a fairly big cupboard anyway.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As John suggested, a remote Surestop so you don't need to 'raise' the pipework.

Some models of Surestop are now WRAS approved.

surestop.jpg

Seen these advertised not come across one yet, sound quite a good Idea

One point though can these be fitted by a "Bog Standard" Plumber or do they have to be fitted by a qualified "Sparkey" and certificated ???.

If so thats gonna be another nail in the Plumbers Coffin.

http://www.surestop.co.uk/index.asp

Sponsored Links
The white 'wire' is actually a 2-in-1 pipe - it works on water pressure, not leccy. A common misconception on first seeing them.

Surestop water switches have been around for yonks. The WRAS approved stop cock version for a couple of years. They are available in push-fit and compression, 15mm and 22mm, with the remote switch as illustrated or a switch on the valve itself.

The white 'wire' is actually a 2-in-1 pipe - it works on water pressure, not leccy. A common misconception on first seeing them.

Surestop water switches have been around for yonks. The WRAS approved stop cock version for a couple of years. They are available in push-fit and compression, 15mm and 22mm, with the remote switch as illustrated or a switch on the valve itself.

Thanks for that, I had noticed them before but because of the cost never bothered, rather pricey for what they are 15mm with switch £40 plus/ without switch over £20.
Bog Standard Stop Cock 15mm £5.

I can see that the Switched one with the 2m cable could be useful in such places as "Sheltered Accomodation" and the like, would make it easier for the Elderly/disabled turn off their water supply if needed.

Another vote for the SureStop, and I think they have a 15 year warranty on them now (although this may require you to pay a little more...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back