Stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:evil: I wonder if anyone can help - there appears to be a "slow" leak from my cold mains pipe, I have tried to locate the stopcock but cant find it anywhere. i've looked under teh sink, behind the washing machine, under the stairs etc. In the airing cupboard there are two brass taps - one of which turned down the water pressure - is this the stopcock or is it the gate valve? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I live in a purpose built maisonette and have asked my neighbour who says hers is under her sink. I am at a complete loss. Help!!!

Sponsored Links
Where is the leak?

When you turned the brass tap down and the water pressure reduced, was this at the kitchen sink cold tap or some other tap?

Generally, a brass tap with 2 prongs is a stopcock and is on the mains, a brass tap with a red wheel is for shutting off the low pressure hot and cold water (which it doesn't do very well).

Failing everything else, try to locate the water authority stopcock outside your property - usually at the front, on the pavement, tarmaced over and inaccessible.

In some older houses the stopcock can be under the floor in the hall just inside the front door. If it is, there will be a piece of floorboard meant to be taken up.

Sponsored Links
Hi sorry for delay in replying - internet wasn't working. Well, the tap in the kitchen's pressure went down. It is a big old looking tap. Do you think this could be it? I will also have a look outside. Thanks for all your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back