Stopcock problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to find the stopcock in our house. The previous owners had left a note telling us where it is ( under a cupboard near the sink)....however there is no sign of it here.

I can find one in the utility / downstairs bath room behind the washing machine. I think though this may not be it as the utility room is a fairly recent addition in comparison with the rest of the house.
Is there any likelihood it may have been moved into the utility room when the utility room was built?.

Sponsored Links
unlikely to have been moved but always possible.

Have you checked that one of the cupboards near the sink may have a removable back or base??

Have a look and see if there are visible edges and screws to one of the backs or bases (I say bases but that depends on the height of your plinths)

Alternatively, try working back from the cold tap in the kitchen sink as this is likely to be fed from the cold mains.

Thanks guys
I have removed all the cupboard plinths in the kitchen and still haven't found it.
Under the cupboard where the previous owners said it is are some pipes but no stopcock that I can see (I have uploaded some pics).

The house I was built in 1860 is it possible that the stop cock is so old I'm not recognising it....or may there just not be one?

Sponsored Links
Thanks John I thought I was going mad !

There's two pipes that come from the boiler, which is housed above. The other pipe exits the wall. However, there is nothing on the outside. I think this is now redundant.

It may be worth contacting the previous owners.....the stopcock is a vital thing to find!
I've never known a house without one, but sometimes they are on ridiculous places, sometimes half buried on the wall!
Below the original kitchen sink position is the usual place, which often coincides with the path leading out to the road.
John :)

You have two horizontal 15mm copper pipes, and a 15mm/1.2" vertical pipe that comes off the horizontal- if that pipe is lead then trace it to the right or up in the corner, use a mirror and flashlight.

From the external stop-cock, at the property boundary, a direct eye-balled line will usually show where the supply enters the house.

Check that your external stop-cock works, and what material its made of eg. lead or plastic?

If you have suspended floors you can go under, and sometimes see the incoming water supply pipe.

Test the "stop-cock" in the utility room by turning it off. What happens?

Thanks all found it eventually.
Took the back off a cupboard ! Will now cut a hole into it so the stopcock can be easily accessed!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back