Mains Water Stopcock - repair or replace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1950's house, just uncovered the mains water stopcock in the utility room behind the sink unit, it is 3/4 inch iron (I think) and the stopcock is weeping from the gland and very stiff. It shuts down the flow around 95% but not completely.

My preference would be to replace it but being 3/4 inch BSP to iron in-line I'm not sure how easy this will be in situ. I am guessing the chances of servicing the stopcock are low as it seems pretty old and worn.

I have added a picture, note the direction of the pipe is vertcal from the ground to first floor.

Any suggestions, experience in this welcome.

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
That looks totally repairable as long as you can shut off the supply.

New washer and new gland packing.

In my local area that would cost about £84.

But its also quite possible that the internals are still the same as current taps and it may be possible to just replace the whole working parts as an assembly.

Tony

They don't them like they used to.

Ensure you can cut off the water outside then
remove the head and gland nut. I think if you search on you tube you will
see a video on this. New washer and some ptfe tape for packing and
it will be good for another 20 years. :)

Thank you for the replies, hopefully a repair will be as suggested. I can isolate the house supply easy enough. I had/have some premonitions of the thing disintegrating as I tried to remove the nut and me being in the mire.

I'll get a professional in and pay for the pleasure...

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back