Replacing stopcock with lever ball valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a new home recently and asked a plumber to replace the main stopcock (traditional brass tap style) because it hadn't been used in years & was stuck/stiff. Made more sense to replace rather than try to service it. However without asking the plumber has replaced it with a 15mm 1/4 turn level ball valve.

So I'm wondering if there's going to be any issues with using a ball valve as the main stopcock and also in terms of insurance/water companies, regs etc. should it be a 'stopcock'.

He has also installed the ball valve in a way where the level drops to the 'on' position which I guess is not ideal either. Would it be better to err on side of caution and change it back to a traditional stopcock? which in some ways I prefer and if worked every now again should last a long time. Which would you opt for?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Well, the lever ball valve creates lower resistance which in turn maintains flow rate.

Is your flow rate on the low side?

We have water tank in the loft. Pressure has been fine before and after change. Wondering if it's normal/recommended practice to use a ball valve as the main stopcock.

Thanks.

Personally I would recommend it but some wally will come along with their interpretation of some reg that no longer applies and tell you you need to install a traditional stopcock

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back