ball valve v's stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the main stopcock (T - handle,compression fitting,22mm) in my flat and want to replace it with a lever style ball valve.

I've been told by a plumber that ball valves are not suitable for isolating mains water supplies and I should replace like with like.Is this true or is he just quoting me the cheaper option?

Sponsored Links
The way I look at it is, if an isolating ball valve/service valve is enough to shut of water at a tap and a lot of the lever type are gas approved, there probably going to suitable for the job you need.

Plus the fact (I know we should) a lot of people do not maintain their stopcock, go to turn it off in an emergency and it shears off in their hand or they cant budge it. I use ball valves to replace stopcocks just down to the fact it only has 1 moving part and it rarely sticks.

Hope this helps

Thanks for confirming my suspicions as i tend to agree that they are of a better quality and also easier to use.Do you know of any good brands - as I was given a BOSS valve in stainless by a mate (yellow handle, i assume its meant for gas) would this be any good or should I go for brass?
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back