Moving the bolier - is it worth getting a new combi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We're planning to move our Worcester 24CDI boilier from the bathroom into the kitchen. A couple of people have suggested getting a new combi boiler as part of the move. How much better will a new combi be than the 24CDI - enough to spend up to £1000 for a new one?

We're not sure how old the Worcester is but it has an old service sticker in from 1999, so anytime before then. We've had no problems with it since we've been here the last two years.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It probably depends on your gas bill and the cost of moving it.

A new condensing boiler will save about 12% on your gas bill.

You could also take the opportunity to upgrade to a higher output say 30 kW. A 24 kW is strugling at this time of year.

If its costing quite a lot to move then it might be a good idea to get a new boiler.

Tony

Certainly upgrade size to at least 30Kw. Is your budget for boiler cost only or does it include installation, which if so is not realistic.

Are you allowed to re-site an old boiler without upgrading to a condenser? I thought that you were'nt but would like clafification.

Sponsored Links
I have come across this before and I also thought that it would not be allowed. I checked with my CORGI inspector and was told I was wrong and that is was allowed :eek:

I still do not understand why. Needless to say I lost the quote as I insisted that a new condensing boiler had to be fitted :cry:

Its a very grey area and dont assume that all CORGI inspectors will take the same view.

I think that its justified to consider exactly what is being moved!

Moving a 22 y.o. Netaheat should not be permitted but a 4-6 y.o. low water content boiler like a vaillant 824 does not seem very bad.

Tony

Agile said:
Moving a 22 y.o. Netaheat should not be permitted but a 4-6 y.o. low water content boiler like a vaillant 824 does not seem very bad.
Netaheat ® ?
Vaillant ® ?

Its a very grey area and dont assume that all CORGI inspectors will take the same view.
It's black and white in The Gas Installer. It's OK.
It's a Building Regulation matter, nothing to do with Corgi.

I wouldn't move a middle aged 24cdi though - they aren't particularly good.

Agile wrote:

Netaheat ® ?
Vaillant ® ?

I like the cut of your jib, you clever man

David

Soggy_weetabix said:
I like the cut of your jib
Have you seen my jib? :eek:

jib.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back