Moving the gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello fellas. I know this has cropped up before but I'm still not clear on it. I'm renovating an old house and need to raise the meter just 2-3 ft. National Grid say it'll cost £700, so I've made a complaint on the basis that this is a totally outrageous/extortionate amount. It seems to me that all that needs doing is substituting a longer flexible pipe into the meter and cutting a section out of the copper pipe on the other side-less than an hour's work for a competent chap. I've also been in touch with the Energy Ombudsman and Energywatch and the chap at Energywatch said NG didn't have to do the work as long as the cut-off valve wasn't moved, so now I'm really confused.

Can I get the meter moved myself or can't I? If I can't where does it say that? There would have to be some specific law I would think that gives NG the sole right to shift it-does anybody know if that's the case. Also has anyone complained about the price before and got it reduced?

Hope you can help

All replies gratefully received

Keith

Sponsored Links
Providing you are not moving your main tap then there is no need to get national grid in to do it.
Simple job less than an hour and anything more than £100 and they are taking the P

Providing you are not moving your main tap then there is no need to get national grid in to do it.
Simple job less than an hour and anything more than £100 and they are taking the P

Thanks. I've been talking to National Grid again. They can't grasp the idea that I just want to move the meter not the service pipe, and still want to charge £700+! I'll get a Corgi man to do it.

Thanks for your reply.

Keith

As the ECV to the meter is supposed to be an anaconda I can't see how you will do it. They are usually only of one or 2 lengths, neither being 3 ft or so long and you are not allowed to have 2 joined together so I can't see how you will do it.

NG have a set minimum cost and no doubt in your case would cover moving the ECV to the correct position in relation to the new meter position.

Sponsored Links
As the ECV to the meter is supposed to be an anaconda I can't see how you will do it. They are usually only of one or 2 lengths, neither being 3 ft or so long and you are not allowed to have 2 joined together so I can't see how you will do it.

NG have a set minimum cost and no doubt in your case would cover moving the ECV to the correct position in relation to the new meter position.

Yes that's what i'm finding. I've rung a few plumbers' merchants and none can sell me a new flexible pipe/anaconda (what's the longest they make - any idea?) . But even if the valve has to be moved to within anaconda distance of the meter, it's still only a case of replacing a couple of feet of service pipe, inside the house and above floor level, which can't cost £700+. Am I the first to want to do this and baulk at paying this much to get it done?
Like so many things these days, no-one can exercise any initiative/discretion and just do the job/answer the question. NG's attitude is we've only got a price which envisages digging up up to 2 mtrs of underground pipe so that's what you'll have to pay for. Absolutely infuriating,-no wonder jobs get bodged and done badly/dangerously when the only way of doing it properly costs a fortune, and totally unnecessarily!!

I'm having a bad day in case you hadn't guessed!!

Keith

are they allowed to joint there service pipe in the house?

gas4you who told you meter inlet had to be an anaconda. Used to be a rule 20 year ago inlet could not be longer than 2feet with no soldered joints(after leads where the norm ) but thats gone long ago.

Can I get the meter moved myself or can't I? If I can't where does it say that
It will have words to that effect in the application for a supply of gas that the service pipe, emergency valve and everything prior to the meter outlet, including the meter itself is the property of the gas supplier and that only their authorised agents can work on that part of the system.

gas4you who told you meter inlet had to be an anaconda. Used to be a rule 20 year ago inlet could not be longer than 2feet with no soldered joints(after leads where the norm ) but thats gone long ago.

Perhaps I am even more of a dinosaur than what I thought I was :eek: :oops: :oops: :LOL:

Dont think you a dinsaur on this D, service pipe,ECV anoconda,governor and meter is for the gas supplier to work on. We work on whats after the meter. Those workin on extending the service to meter should check it out :!:

;)

Thanks for that Craig, exactly my thoughts and what local NG chaps have always told me.

Personally I would never undertake any work like this. I would only ever move a meter within the radius of the ECV anaconda.

Thanks for that Craig, exactly my thoughts and what local NG chaps have always told me.

Personally I would never undertake any work like this. I would only ever move a meter within the radius of the ECV anaconda.

Your velcomen, look forward to meeting you Aug 23rd.:cool:

;)

On a job today by myself, ecv just inside front door, meter at least 20ft away, had to use tenants binoculars to do tightness test :LOL: peepers aren't what they used to be :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back