Gas Meter (supply?) Upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Due to a change in circumstances I am editing my original post.

I was in the process of trying to get my meter upgraded from a u6 to a u16. Scottishpower do it for free, subject to a test carried out by National Grid.

It turns out that my supply is only 55kW. However my current max capacity is 63.5kW.

My question is now whether there is an onus on National Grid to achieve a minimum guaranteed supply or I just have to accept that I can't adequately heat my home?

Thanks

My original post is below.

Having my boilers replaced and the total max kW for everything in the house will be 93 kW.

I informed my supplier and they said I could have a u16 meter installed for free and gave me an installation date.

2 days before they were due to come I got a letter requesting that I fill out a GT1 Quotation form. This I duly did. I was then informed that National Grid would have to come out and check my existing supply before I could have a new meter.

So I cancelled the plumbers and waited for NG.

They came today...with a tape measure and measured the location of the meter. I asked the chap if he was going to test my existing supply - No.

My current max is 63.5kW. I have no problems with my gas pressures.

Without measuring my current supply how can NG determine whether I need an upgrade or not?

The chap was clearly measuring up for a supply upgrade quote.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How do you know that there is no problem with your gas pressures?

Tony

Hi Tony,

I don't.
When the original heating was put in there wasn't a problem with the pressures.

According to National Grid there should be, because they've just come back and said my supply is only good for 55kw and I'm already well over that.

What interests me now though is that I've got a 55kw supply with a 64kW meter. When a plumber put's in a new system does he have to find out what the supply is or will he go by the meter size.

I'm interested because if I'm not allowed a u16 because my supply isn't great enough how can I be allowed a u6 on that basis.

Thanks

Simon

They also do a g10 meter which is in between u6 and u16 so you could ask them about that if it starts involving charges

Sponsored Links
They also do a g10 meter which is in between u6 and u16 so you could ask them about that if it starts involving charges

Hi gas112,

My problem is now the opposite. National Grid have informed me that my supply is only 55kW.

My current max capacity is 63.5kW!

I wonder at what point the onus of upgrading the supply is on National Grid themselves. Is there a guaranteed minimum kW supply that they have to provide?

Thanks
Simon

Your current supply should be capable of providing you with at least 19mbar and 6m3/hr if that's the meter you have.
The meter install is designed to allow 120% volume under their own rules therefore your supply should be at least around the 75kw mark.
If they can't give you 6m3/hr (roughly 65kw) existing then they'll have to upgrade at their cost for starters anyway.

Lots of things will factor in but I'd be surprised if they refuse you a u16 or want to charge for your service.

A G10 is still a 16m3/hr meter.

Your current supply should be capable of providing you with at least 19mbar and 6m3/hr if that's the meter you have.
The meter install is designed to allow 120% volume under their own rules therefore your supply should be at least around the 75kw mark.
If they can't give you 6m3/hr (roughly 65kw) existing then they'll have to upgrade at their cost for starters anyway.

Lots of things will factor in but I'd be surprised if they refuse you a u16 or want to charge for your service.

A G10 is still a 16m3/hr meter.

Thanks LeeC
I've just quoted that back at scottishpower (not mentioned source) and it made them jump - they're calling me back..
I certainly don't want to pay for an upgrade - it's 40 - 50m to the main!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back