New gas supply - mains to meter.... Some advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
I have almost completed my extension and am getting to the stage where I have to get my meter moved.

I have a quote from my provider to do this.. However I am only supplied via a 20mm mdpe pipe (inserted through the old steel pipe) and they would just use this for my move.

Will this 20mm pipe be enough to feed my two boilers - 14kw for u/floor heating and 30kw for rads, a gas range is also planned but I am unsure which model as yet as not at this stage...

They are reluctant to change/upgrade the 20mm pipe as this will then come as a free upgrade to my service. What they are pushing me to do is have my meter moved first and then upgrade at a later date (if required) I suppose it is so they can charge me for the meter move...

Can someone advise me if I need to get the supply mains upgraded at this point... The U6 meter is 15 meteres from the supply.

Many thanks....

Sponsored Links
20mm is fine for any U6 meter, theres upto 75mb of pressure before the meter.

The pipework after the meter may need to be increased in size, but this would be your responsibility and not that off the transporter.

Make sure you tell them what the intended maximum load will be.

A 30 kW boiler does not use 30 kW of gas!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Many thanks, was just for peace of mind. Didn't want to have to dig up the garden to lay another pipe at a letter date when it could have been done at the current stage without any set back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back