Moving the kitchen to other side of bungalow:how easy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to resite my kitchen to an extension that would be built on the other side of a bungalow?
Would the water main govern how feasible it would be?
Drainage wouldnt be a problem as the new kitchen would butt onto the back of the garage which has got the washing machine plumbed in - and also drainage from the bathroom.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Usually the waste is the stumbling block, providing you have foul drain handy, go for it. The main stop tap, if in old kichen could be boxed in, you still need hot/cold over but no worry.

Perfectly possible, but bear in mind a few things:

1. Do you have a route for ventilation? Moving a kitchen to a new extension is a perfect opportunity to vent cooker hoods etc.
2. Is there anything in the kitchen that would be difficult to move? e.g. boiler
3. Do you have a route to cable the kitchen appliances? Remember your cooker is on a separate fuse so needs a separate cable.
4. Whilst you are potentially doing works to the water supply, have you looked at the main CWS? We replaced the old lead pipe and installed a new MDPE pipe and 22mm pipe in the house and it's made a massive difference.

Some random points but I'm speaking from experience.

Thanks for your replies. It sounds possible then.
But just thought - the condensing combi boiler is in the garage and the 'drip' , now on the outside wall, would then be enclosed and on an inside wall - dont think that would be ok would it?
Maybe I could resite the boiler on the other wall [an outside wall].

Sponsored Links
The boiler has to be on an outside wall, or rather the flue has to pass thro an outside wall as does the condensate/pressure relief pipes. (you cant do the gas unless Gas Safe certed) As we assume a new build extn. then wiring to part P will be needed, and take care of issue with cooker point, and extract over cooker, a must.

As far as I'm aware, extraction over a cooker/ hob is not a requirement.
It's a good idea to provide extraction, but there's no legal requirement for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back