Moving Utilitys to house Who is responsible

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A Local Builder has obtained planning permission on a plot of land close to my house.
The Plot is empty at this time
The problem is that my Telephone Cable runs overhead from the BT pole
right across the Building plot at what will be roof level
Also the Mains power to my House runs underground across the Plot
i pointed this out to the Planning dept of the council but they ignored
my comments
Question is whos responsibility is it to get these services re-reouted

there is No where else for a BT pole to be placed
and Both Power and Phone share the same pole

Sponsored Links
I would say the developer is responsible for any (damage to) services that run across his property.

Whether or not he will be sympathetic is another matter. You need to meet with the developer beforehand and have a pre-dig chat.

It is BT and the power company who own the telephone and power lines. If the developer damages them, you phone (perhaps using your mobile !) either BT or the power company and complain that your service has been cut. The utility people will then sue the builder for damages or charge him for re-routing. It is not your responsibility (or the council planning deparment). However building control may be interested in the same manner as they are with public sewers (i.e. they will not sign off the work until the utility has approved the plans).
This situation is not always the same with sewers, since they can be private. But I've not heard of private telephone or power lines of that nature.
Simon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back