New house in the country and Back Land Development question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

we are looking at buying a plot (essentially a large back garden) of a house that is located in the countryside

Council are is Falkirk in Central Scotland

Initial response from planning dept is that the proposal would probably be rejected as

1. Local plan does not permit the building of a new house in the countryside
2. As this plot is essentially a part of the back garden of a property (not all of it) they would consider it as Back Land Development - which, apparently, they also frown upon

So, rules is rules and all that - so my plans could well be scuppered before they start....however, anyone any experience with this type of proposal and have they been able to get a proposal approved?

Thanks
SB

Sponsored Links
Some applications get approved, most not. Each application will be looked at on a case by case basis. In other words impossible to say. Why not apply before you buy it?

Some applications get approved, most not. Each application will be looked at on a case by case basis. In other words impossible to say. Why not apply before you buy it?

Thanks Freddy

That is what i am planning on doing. The planning officer was throwing some hints and tips my way which might sway things - such as proposing it as a B&B or self catering rental home type development (though i'm not really comfortable with that idea)

A new dwelling in the countryside (that is outside of a settlement as defined in the local plan) is fundamentally contrary to policy. The suggestions you make regarding B&B comes from employment led justification policies which can sometimes be considered. I wouldn't pin all your hopes on getting what you want here and dont spend too much money!

Sponsored Links
A new dwelling in the countryside (that is outside of a settlement as defined in the local plan) is fundamentally contrary to policy. The suggestions you make regarding B&B comes from employment led justification policies which can sometimes be considered. I wouldn't pin all your hopes on getting what you want here and dont spend too much money!

Thanks

I've spoken to the planning dept and also a retired architect who does a lot of planning/consultation work for them.

basically, no chance of a house....mild chance of a B&B or Furnished Holiday Let.

Only MILD though - and the reasons for that are down to issues of drainage and access.

(basically, even if we were on the edge of a settlement and they were happy to let us build, we are going to have issues in the position of a septic tank/soak away. The water table is quite high and we are close (50M) to a canal - likely we'd need something like a klargester type system and then have to pump the water a considerable distance to a mains sewer.....thats gonna take it way out of our budget for now, even if we could swing it on the grounds of leisure/tourist development

Oh well, onto the next plan!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back