Separation distance for new dwelling on corner plot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
We live in a 1930's semi on a decent sized corner plot. We had a meeting with the council planners and they agreed we had potential to build a small bungalow at the bottom of the plot/garden. This is our long term plan but in the meantime we plan to develop our current plot with a rear extension under PD (coming back 3 meters)

I have a couple of questions regarding separation distances

1) If we develop our current plot under PD with a rear extension coming back 3 meters will this affect the future planning application for the new dwelling at the bottom of the garden? I ask this as under PD there needs to be a minimum of 7 meters between the back of the extension and the rear boundary of the property but if we want to split the plot then this will be reduced to under 7 meters

2) The bungalow will be perpendicular to our house with no windows on the elevation facing the back of our current home. What are the rules about separation distances between the new dwelling and neighbouring houses? It seems that these only apply when they have windows facing each other?

See photo- rear extension to replace conservatory and shaded yellow Proposed location of bungalow shaded in red.

Thanks

Attachments

• potential new red lines 2.jpg
    potential new red lines 2.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 75
Sponsored Links
Yes you need to maintain 7M to the boundary (proposed boundary) so when you partition your land, you wont have enough for the new build.

Do you have the ability to go out in another direction?

Yes you need to maintain 7M to the boundary (proposed boundary) so when you partition your land, you wont have enough for the new build.

Do you have the ability to go out in another direction?
Thanks Motorbiking- do you have a link to guidance that states this?

You need to look at the planning strategy for your area, some what 20M between walls to approve new builds.

Sponsored Links
So basically you are saying you that if we did a rear extension at the back under PD- when it comes to apply for the pp for the new dwelling it may be refused as the new reduced plot would result in our rear boundary being less than 7m from the back of the extension?

Is there a reason you haven't asked the planner about this?

My understanding is that the PD extension rule of 7m to rear boundary only applies to 2 storey extensions - need one of the real planning gurus to confirm. You could then get your PP for the new bungalow, separate the plot, dig the first footing (so you've started), then just leave it. Then build a single storey extension on your existing under PD.

Sorry, I assumed it was over 4M high. I think you can pretty much go to the boundary on a single storey.

I'm no professional, however is this an idea?

As planners can be "inconsistent", and local policy does change, do you have the funds / capacity to do the planning for the corner plot now, before any PD activity on the main plot?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back