Sell house with planning or sell plot separately

I would check with an accountant...selling a plot v selling a house...selling your own house that you live in does not attract capital gains...what happens if you sell the plot separately ?

Sponsored Links
I also think the best would be to build it yourself to get the highest profit possible from this piece of land. Selling land as it is without any real estate on it is not that profitable.
Even if you have the ready cash to finance the build and don’t need ti borrow, that could also give you the highest possible headache/aggro/sleepless night/stress. Selling a piece of land that you already own is relatively easy. Depends on whether you want the stress.

Sponsored Links
A developer may see and realise potential that you haven't - did you ask your architect to maximise the value in the plot(s). I've seen a few sold with permission for one nice house and garden only to be subsequently redeveloped into a three property modern slum or a small block of flats.

Land is cheap, land with planning is expensive and even if you only have outline, it isn't a major issue on single plots....unless your council is a pain in the behind.

Check the local self build policies, as some councils have bothered to make it easier for locals to build (in your case, gain full planning)....which means either yourself, or others will be more likely to get the finance to build. Help to Build has recently launched, which may offer you some financial support.

Btw, £20k for landscaping. demolition and putting the kitchen back seems quite cheap to me.....if you want it done well that is!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back