Planning in field at back of our house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm planning to submit a pre-application form to my local council for a plot of land at the back of our house. However, before I do so (and pay the £180) I just wondered if there was a galring reason why I would be highly unlikely to gain planning permission...

Our current house backs onto an unused field and our neighbour is the farmer who own the field. The farmer is 80+ and has no interest in developing but might be open to selling a corner of the field for me to build on. The new property would need a new driveway (next to the driveway that goes to my house currently) which would then run along the side of our house and to the field behind our garden.

The area we live in (a small village) is regularly having new houses built in, though these are on the plots of older houses or a pub's car park etc. So, I wonder if there would be ANY chance of me gaining planning permission if I bought the land from the farmer.

Is there a glaring restriction I've missed??

thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Is it inside or outside the settlement area as defined in the Local Plan, if inside it has a chance outside much less likely. So begs the question have you looked at your Local Plan?

Hi... thanks for replying... I've spent ages trying to find anything on the web for our village's settlement area, but am guessing I have to find it somewhere else... the local council/planning office (?)

It should be online somewhere and yes they can be a challenge to find, often worth emailing them and asking them to email you the link. :p

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice... so if the plot is within the settlement area are there no other 'major' things I'm missing? I wasn't sure whether it being on a farmer's field would make it much harder to gain planning?

The question can only be answered by finding out if the area is considered acceptable for development as mentioned. Does your LA charge for Pre-Apps for new dwellings or is it free? It can be worth it sometimes to get an idea. But find that Local Plan first.

Hi thanks again... I found the plan which was for Wycombe (our nearest town). The map shows that the edge of my garden is classed as 'existing residential area' and the field behind and the farm next door is AONB and green belt. The notes seem to infer AONB land can be applied to build on, but Green belt seems to be a no-no.

I've attached a snippet of the map
and added a red arrow showing my back garden in yellow next to the green field. I presume it makes no difference how close the land is, if it's green belt am I right in thinking it's a no-go?

My LA charges £180 for a reply to a pre-application...

thanks

Andy

Oh sorry, didn't catch that yu already mentioned the charge for a Pre-App.

Anyway GreenBelt and AONB! Sounds like a highway to nowhere to me! You can apply but very likely a complete a waste of time/money. :cry:

Hi All,

Our current house backs onto an* unused * field and our neighbour is the farmer who own the field. The farmer is 80+ and has no interest in developing but might be open to selling a corner of the field

Andy
And when he`s gone - who will buy the field and "travel" there to use the field ? Buy it and you`re buying a protected view . Get my drift ;)

Scandalous. I hope the respond in a timely manner. My LA doesn't charge, but it took them 4 months to reply to my queries. On balance, if £180 would have got me an answer in 2 weeks, I'd have paid it

Scandalous. I hope the respond in a timely manner. My LA doesn't charge, but it took them 4 months to reply to my queries. On balance, if £180 would have got me an answer in 2 weeks, I'd have paid it
The charge is for a new dwelling Pre-App not advice regards to an extension and when you start applying for new houses you hit the commercial fee structure.

I couldn't quite make sense of that sentence - are you saying that the "pre-application" to which the OP refers is not "pre-application advice" ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back