Establishing whether a house is on a corner plot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to help a friend with planning permission on a bungalow she is thinking of buying. So far planning with is not going as hoped because the LPA don't like some of the proposals. Finding a solution is urgent so as not to hold up the purchase.

It may be that she drops the planning application and resorts to Permitted Development but the bungalow may be on a corner plot and we understand that there are restrictions to the PD rights for corner plots. However, there is an electrical sub-station that also occupies part of the corner plot and the local council planning are divided as to which actually occupies the corner plot, see attached drawing.

The legislation (?) covering this can be found at:
https://assets.publishing.service.g...der_Technical_Guidance__-April_2017_FINAL.pdf pages 14-16 but it is not clear cut. The guidance explains that the extent to which an elevation of a house fronts a highway will depend on various factors, including 'the distance between the house and the highway - in cases where that distance is substantial, it is unlikely that a building can be said to front the highway. The same may be true where there is a significant intervening area of land in different ownership or use between the boundary of the curtilage of the house concerned and the highway.' It doesn't state what that distance is or what constitutes 'significant intervening area of land'.

If anyone can help with this I'd very much appreciate it. I've searched the internet for similar situations but found nothing. Ideally a pointer to some sort of legal case or lawful development certificate decision would help.

Edited 20:17 18/7/2018

Attachments

• Sub-station.pdf
    29.5 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There are a number of planning appeal cases where distances from the highway far greater than yours have still been regarded as 'fronting a highway' for the purposes of the permitted development rules.
It's surprising that your councils' officials seem divided on this issue - it's clearly a corner plot.

Not what I wanted to here but many thanks all the same.

Any chance you could provide a link to any of the planning appeal cases, I've searched but can't find anything?

Sponsored Links
They are on a site called 'Planning Jungle'. Google it, but you have to join to have access to the appeal cases.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back