Mowing without grass box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been mowing without the box then blowing the lines of grass afterwards. Want to reduce the amount of waste gotta deal with. Is this something some people do?

I have pollen allergies as well. Is it worth wearing a mask ?
20210810_163951.jpg

Sponsored Links
from the look of the grass, your blade is blunt.

Do you have any flowerbeds, vegetables or hedges?

If you place the cuttings around the plants, drawn up to the stems, they will settle and form a mat as they dry, and suppress weeds. They will rot and be taken down by worms, improving the soil, and by next year they will all have disappeared ready for another lot. you can mulch about six inches deep, subject to the size of the plants. If you have tiny seedlings, or if you want to plant anything through the mulch, you must draw it back so they are not overwhelmed. If you have used a lawn weedkiller, compost them first.

Some people dislike the appearance of a grass mulch, so you can hide it with an thin ornamental layer of cuttings, bark, woodchips or sifted soil, if you can be bothered. your plants will grow to hide it under their foliage.

If you mow more frequently, the cuttings will be finer and sparser, and you can leave them to fly and rot down into the lawn. If the grass stems are able to poke through, they will not be overwhelmed.

I find the modern antihistamine tablets stop my allergies, and also reduce swelling from insect bites. If you rely on a mask, you will still have pollen on your hands, clothes and hair when you take it off.

Last edited:
I trimmer mine in the summer months when there was not much growth with out a grass box, if it gets to long it just leaves a mess.

If you have allergies I think you’ll be better off with the grass box on. You can cut without and what doesn't blow away will help to “fertilise” the soil.

Sponsored Links
Takes me back to the days of the flymo.

No grassbox on them.

A petrol rotary with collection chute isn’t really suitable for mulching

from the look of the grass, your blade is blunt.

Do you have any flowerbeds, vegetables or hedges?

If you place the cuttings around the plants, drawn up to the stems, they will settle and form a mat as they dry, and suppress weeds. They will rot and be taken down by worms, improving the soil, and by next year they will all have disappeared ready for another lot. you can mulch about six inches deep, subject to the size of the plants. If you have tiny seedlings, or if you want to plant anything through the mulch, you must draw it back so they are not overwhelmed. If you have used a lawn weedkiller, compost them first.

Some people dislike the appearance of a grass mulch, so you can hide it with an thin ornamental layer of cuttings, bark, woodchips or sifted soil, if you can be bothered. your plants will grow to hide it under their foliage.

If you mow more frequently, the cuttings will be finer and sparser, and you can leave them to fly and rot down into the lawn. If the grass stems are able to poke through, they will not be overwhelmed.

I find the modern antihistamine tablets stop my allergies, and also reduce swelling from insect bites. If you rely on a mask, you will still have pollen on your hands, clothes and hair when you take it off.

I'll get it sharpened. How u know?

To reduce your waste why not get a compost bin. I have one loosely shaped like a bee hive that takes most of my grass cuttings and some leaves etc.

Oh! I understand now (y)

Collect the grass clippings and put them on the customers compost heap :D

I would have thought that was the natural thing to do, after all, they are the customers property. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back