MP3 / video players. Advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope I'm in the right forum here. My question doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

My son is after a "New iPod Nano" for Christmas, the one that plays videos. I've had a look and decided that I'm quite interested in something like this myself, except that I'm looking at the Creative Zen MP3 Video Player. Both are available in either 4Gb or 8Gb sizes and appear to do the same things.

Now I'm not a complete newbee at this. I build my own computers and encode my own audio MP3 files but video is a whole new ball game for me. :confused: :confused: :confused: The furthest I've ventured into it is to get myself a portable DVD player.

I'm tempted by the Creative Zen. It will obviously function as an audio player (like my trusty 5512Mb Zen Nano) only bigger. I'm assuming that it will function as a memory stick too. My questions concern the video aspect:

1) Is a 2.5" screen really big enough for watching video, especially when your eyesight is no longer as good as it used to be? I don't fancy having to watch everything through a magnifying glass. :mad: :mad: :mad:

2) Is it possible to put video from DVD onto one of these things? I'm aware of the problems of getting encrypted movies onto hard disk. I also have many hours of video tape that I intend to transfer to hard disk using a video capture card. My problem is that there seems to be so many different formats for digital video. :confused: :confused: :confused: Assuming that I can get everything I want onto my hard disk, will it be in the right format for one of these portable players or, if not, is software to do the conversion readily available?

And finally ---

Does anybody have any opinions as to the relative merits of the New iPod Nano or the Creative Zen? I'm drawn towards the latter partly because it takes SD cards but mostly because I've always been very wary of iPods. My son has other ideas!

All contributions will be gratefully received. :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
Audio wise, I prefer Creative, having owned a MuVo and a Zen Touch. Creative tend to play anything you throw at it. I've also heard tell that an iPod needs to use iTunes to load stuff but I could be wrong on that.

As for video, a tiny screen isn't great, but if you're catching up with soaps on the train or watching music vids, it's ok. I've never tried watching a movie.

As far as ripping DVD to play on it you need to do three things :

1. Decrypt the files using DVD decrypter.
2. Convert files using Auto GordianKnot
3. Resize for portable player using Super (or similar)

(Ok, you can combine steps 2 & 3 but I prefer to have a decent size video file )

Be aware that step 2 can take several hours :eek:

Why anyone would wanna watch anything on such a small screen is beyond me. Anyway, ipods despite looking good do have some limitations, I believe you need itunes installed as an interface. Creative have been doing sound related stuff for many a year, and I reckon that would be the one to go for.

Also Sony have a new one out, and I believe they've ditched their atrac compression which was compulsory on all their previous machines.

Archos are a good bet as well, they come with loads of frilly bits which make the whole converting process easier.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/digitalmusic/0,139102043,1,00.htm

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I followed that link and looked up the software. One link led to another and my disk is rapidly filling up with reviews and free video processing software. :) :) :)

I agree that a small screen isn't ideal for watching video. I've worked out that, given my limited close-up vision, it'll be equivalent to watching a 14" TV from a distance of about eight feet. I've got a portable DVD player but it's not portable enough to fit in my pocket! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Based of what I've learnt I've ordered myself a 4Gb Creative Zen. Now I just have to work out which video format to go for: DivX or Xvid. It'll also play WMV but the "W" puts me off, just like the one in WMA! Am I being paranoid here? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Meanwhile, despite its limitations, my son is holding out for an iPod. Teenagers! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Back