msconfig

spx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My computer has been getting quite slow because of all the items at startup. none of them appeared in my startup folder but I came across a utility called msconfig that enabled me to choose which items I wish to load on startup.

Unfortunatly though the program keeps booting in a safe mode and will not allow me to save the choices I have selected. Any ideas? The items that I have deselected have no importance to the system. Thanks

Sponsored Links
msconfig is more a diagnostic device than anything else.

Do you have any anti-virus and anti-spyware applications installed?

When in msconfig, under the general tab, do you have selective startup selected.
Under the boot.ini tab all boot options should be deselected.

You must use msconfig correctly or you may cock up the startup process of your computer.

How to use the M$ Configuration Utility:
http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/
Included is a link to check all the items that you are not sure about.
Make sure you leave all your 'real-time' security programs checked on the list as well as your firewall.

As Trazor said, make sure that all items in the Bootini Tab Boot Options box are unticked.

After making alterations to the startup list, when you reboot, a window will appear warning that alterations have been made to the M$ Configuration set up. Just tick the box at the bottom saying Do not show this message again, then click OK

dave[/b]

Sponsored Links
To find out what programs are loading on your PC at startup, you can run the Windows-resident system configuration utility called MSCONFIG. But there's another free utility called Autoruns that does the job better. MSCONFIG entries tend to be rather cryptic, for example, but Autoruns includes a line of description for each entry in plain English. Autoruns also lets you Hide Signed Microsoft Entries, which allows you to quickly narrow your focus to third-party programs. Disabling or deleting entries requires just one click (so you'll need to be careful!). This function really saved my sanity when my system was breached by a scrap of regenerative malware.
Autoruns is one of the Sysinternals utilities developed by Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell. Somebody at Microsoft must have admired their work, because Microsoft bought the company last year and now touts these utilities from its own web site.
--Leigh Anne Jones

Get Autoruns here :-
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

:cool:

Thank you for you responces, I have downloaded the freeware and able to choose which items not to load. Pc is much faster!

Ccleaner has a Startup section that you can select what will run at Startup and disable any you do not need or want.
Ccleaner.
Download and install from: Ccleaner

Ccleaner has a Startup section that you can select what will run at Startup and disable any you do not need or want.
Ccleaner.
Download and install from: Ccleaner

Nice one, I use Ccleaner to clear out files but hadnt used or looked for the start up section, just had a bit of a clean out using it!

I posted a set of instructions about how to set up and use Ccleaner on another forum for its readers.
It's HERE if you want to have a read.
dave

Sponsored Links
Back