Windows - no disk error message help please

This does not solve your problem but the tools (and others at the site) are very useful...
Use the help... It is to the point... You could prevent a prog starting at boot by unticking, can also double click an entry to be taken to the relevant registry entry using regedit.. saves the hunting !

Did you look at the other stuff mentioned?
What about the first shot in the dark? Could this work in a similar manner when using the card reader as opposed to the floppy disk? Try the solution.. quick and easy to eliminate.

This was from my ref. 'Note the comments' Aaron Stebner's WebLog:-
Friday, December 02, 2005 11:11 PM by Jeff in Spanaway
# re: How to resolve "Windows - no disk" errors when launching Media Center 2005 on an HP machine
I used this solution. Install the Norton Internet Security and Security Suite that comes with the HP Media Center computer, activate the products, use control panel to uninstall the Norton prosucts. This will end the No Disk Error. The key here is to install and activate then uninstall the products. I uninstalled the products individually then tried Media Center again with no errors.
Good luck.
Friday, December 09, 2005 8:10 PM by chris
# re: How to resolve "Windows - no disk" errors when launching Media Center 2005 on an HP machine
Just so you know, It's not neccessary to have HP or media center in your equation! I uninstalled Norton from my self-built computer and am getting the error.... Thanks for solving this error mystery! :)
I think Chris, above, is probably saying Jeff's method worked for him, it could work for you, try it... Mind you, he could just be offering a cynical reply.

If nothing else you can slog through the microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support posts I offered..

Once the experts are foxed for an answer there are few alternatives for the rest of us bar careful trial and error... with no burned bridges...
:(

Sponsored Links
Here is an update, don’t know if I have succeeded for sure yet or not.

I played with msconfig for ages. It appears to do the job perfectly but takes a long time going through it line by line, but then suddenly on a start-up the fault is back even though the ones you found in msconfig are still unchecked, almost as if it reacted to some change, i.e. maybe one of those windows updates that comes through and installs in the background. Anyway I soon realised that msconfig was telling me nothing, because the culprit seemed to change if you did the test again, so msconfig doesn't help with this as far as I have seen.

Then remembering that this all started just after I uninstalled Norton Internet Security I decided to try a restore. This had not worked before even going back a month, so I decided to go back much further to when Norton was still on my PC. A miracle after all this work the fault had gone but that dam Norton was back on my PC and all the updates that had slowly been going on my PC over the months were prompting me to allow an install of them.

Also I use AVG now that I have ditched Norton which I find much better by the way. But this had gone because I had gone back in the restore to a time before this was installed.

So I let all the installs go ahead creating restore points after each so that I could get back to if the fault came up at any point without going to far back. I also did this with AVG, of course this now meant I had Norton and AVG on my PC, although it didn't seem to appear in my systray bottom right so I don’t know if Norton was actually doing anything even though it was back.

The fault never reappeared, which I didn't expect it to anyway not while Norton was still on there. But finally I got to the point where everything was updated, AVG was running and all there was left to do was remove Norton, scary moment.

Anyway first I removed LIVEUPDATE which it tells you shouldn't be removed first, but what the hell I was not going to listen to Norton after what it had done to my PC before, since it didn't do a very good job the first time.

I then restarted twice and no fault, so then created another restore point, so that I would be quite close to the end (without a fault) of doing all this rather than going right back again and having all the installs etc to do.

I then uninstalled NIS which wanted me to restart but I ignored that because I spotted a Norton thingy called Livereg, which I then tried to uninstall but it came up with some funny message, that it may be removed already and did I want to take it off the list, so I said yes, to which it replied I didn't have permission but then did it anyway, strange.

Then restarted and restarted about 5 times but still no fault. So basically still not exactly sure what got rid of it as I tried variations on this already that did not work. And I am not 100% confident yet until a few days have gone by, that it won’t suddenly come up again.

My guess is, without going into it too much is that it was something to do with that livereg thing and the fact I removed it this time at the same time as Norton before restarting. I know people may not agree, but I think this, because as I said, I tried this several times with variations and it now seems a strong possibility.

If the fault does not come back I hope this helps others as I have noticed this fault appears loads on the net and a lot of people seem to be suffering with it and there does not seem to be any clear answers as to how to cure it.

By the way, I did try the symantec removal tools but they brought up the fault just the same as if I uninstalled it.

This has taken ages and I think I am glowing from sitting in front of the PC so long, I think I definitely need to get away from the PC for a break now, and get some fresh air.

happyhero said:
I then uninstalled NIS which wanted me to restart but I ignored that because I spotted a Norton thingy called Livereg, which I then tried to uninstall but it came up with some funny message, that it may be removed already and did I want to take it off the list, so I said yes, to which it replied I didn't have permission but then did it anyway, strange.
I'm not a big fan of things that appear strange. :confused:

Does your user account have Administrator rights, or is it restricted?

Softus said:
I'm not a big fan of things that appear strange. :confused:

Does your user account have Administrator rights, or is it restricted?

It is my own home PC and as far as I'm aware and I think I remember it right from seeing it on the odd occasion, yes I think I have administrator rights. Don't know how you would check it once your in but I don't see the log in screen you get on some PC's as I am the only user and haven't set it to do that bit, so it just goes straight in every time.

Sponsored Links
Being the only [visible] user doesn't mean that your account has Administrative rights.

Use Control Panel->Users and check the attributes for your account.

Softus said:
Being the only [visible] user doesn't mean that your account has Administrative rights.

Use Control Panel->Users and check the attributes for your account.

Yes checked this and it says computer administrator, but my excitement is short lived as the fault has come back. Looks like I was right not to trust it until some time had gone by but what now, this is really irritating.

Because of the way I did the restores I now only have to restore a few days back when Norton was on to get it back on. I tried restoring to a time just after Norton came off and all seemed ok finally but that does not remove the fault, so I did another restore to the one before ie earlier that day when Norton was on and the fault is gone. It just doesn't want me to take Norton off and I really want it off now.

How can I get rid of Norton with getting this problem?

HELP!

Is your hard disk letter C, or a higher letter? I saw this prob recently for a chap who had installed Windows to H while C-F were all removable drives (card readers) and gave a No Disk message because, well, there was no disk :)

happyhero said:
How can I get rid of Norton with getting this problem?
I can probably sort it out using HijackThis. However, I don't do this on an open forum because everyone chips in with their opinions and it gets impossible to sort out. If you want to Email me then I'll be happy to help.

Sponsored Links
Back