Multi channel equaliser (preferably rack mount)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a multi-channel equaliser that will take the outputs of a multi zone (channel) amplifier and be able to adjust the Bass/Treble etc on each output as they are driving ceiling speakers in each zone.
The amp is in a rack so ideally I'd like an equaliser unit that will go in there also but not the end of the world if not. The only equalisers I can find are mixer ones where they take multiple inputs and mix to one output.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the thing you're looking for exists?

From the sound of your post, you'd like to add EQ at the speaker output of the amp before the wires go off to the various rooms. Is that right? If so, then that's not usually the way with domestic home audio gear. We EQ either in the source, or between the source and the multichannel amp, or sometimes the amp itself has EQ built in to its own pre-amp section.

The reason why we don't EQ at speaker level is the size of the signal. It's anything up to 28V and the current can be in excess of 6 amps if supplying a low-Ohms speaker load. When we EQ at line level the signal is in the range of 0~3V and there's almost no current. It's also much cleaner. The Signal to Noise Ratio and the channel separation (in dB) are all much better than you'd have with a speaker level signal.

I know there are car audio products that will EQ at speaker level, but those systems are designed to work on lower voltages (0~8V, IIRC) and that means you wouldn't get as much volume through to the speakers if you used them in a domestic system.

Perhaps if you describe the gear you have (makes, models) and how it's wired then we can offer some alternative ideas.

If this or any other reply was helpful to you, on each one please press the THANKS button which appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons.

I’ve got a bunch of airport express units so I can run audio natively using iPhones etc in one or more rooms without other software or going down the Sonos route.

I’m looking at possibly a Russound multi channel amp to drive it to the various rooms which have ceiling speakers. Obviously the benefit of such a unit is not to have multiple amps for each of the rooms but all the ones I’ve found don’t have equaliser ability to change the bass/treble.

What you are saying certainly makes sense, I can’t find such a unit so maybe pre-amp is the way to go. I was thinking of a headphone preamp equaliser (rack mount) but again quite a few of these I’ve found are mixer units so take multiple inputs to one (mixed) output.

Yeah, I know Russound. It's not a brand I've used a lot of because most of their systems have been based on in-wall keypad controllers which is a bit passée, but some of their later multi-channel amps are more like the Sonance gear that I use more frequently.

How do you intend to control the volume in each zone?

If this or any other reply was helpful to you, on each one please press the THANKS button which appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons.

Sponsored Links
All the Airport Express boxes are Airplay 2 capable so that gives you individual volume control on the line outputs and playing the same track if required in multiple rooms at the same.

How many channels do you need? (Mono = 'L or R' = 1 channel)

Have you a budget set aside or a figure in mind for the complete solution of amp plus some form of EQ for each of the channels?

About 9 channels initially, budget around £500-£600 for amp/equaliser solution. I’ve sourced most of the kit 2nd hand so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back