Multi-earths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Multi-earths
When wiring a radio shack using a 3KV isolation transformer for supply and TT at the shack (shed) there was no real problem as it was away from the house but now want to make bedroom into a shack and not sure on earths.
1) Should I re-pipe the radiator in plastic to remove any PME bonded items?
2) Should I re-wire lights to take supply from transformer again to remove PME bonded items? (Lamp will be class II only rose will have earth)
3) Is there any monitoring equipment to show if there is a dangerous differential between TT earth and PME earth.
It is intended to run the main supply cable from the garage (part of house) where the transformer would be out side the house to an isolator about 6’ high so the licensing authority can isolate without entering the house so as to comply with unattended operation regulations and then into bedroom to all sockets in that room so all are at the same earth potential. And no socket within 1.25 meters of the door.
Would I need to fit a lock on the door my wife is not licensed but my son is and he is also a “Competent person” as am I and my wife would be “Instructed person”.
The aerial mast is another issue outside the window. I was told one should construct a spark gap and some very high resistances is parallel with the spark gap so any atmospheric voltages would leak away and if the voltages get too high it will discharge on spark gap.
1) Is there anything like a gold leaf electroscope which can be used to show when it is safe to reconnect aerial leads after an electrical storm?
2) Can I use the spark gaps built into master telephone sockets as my spark gap for aerial.
Final I know one should not switch earths but could I put an isolator to join both earths when HF radio is not being used it would not be removing earth only bonding two together of course in 10mm or above earth cable.
Eric

Sponsored Links
3kv :eek:

As you probably know you aren't meant to have two simultaneously accessable earthing systems, hence if you are wanting to have a zone within a premises which is on a different system then you will need to take precautions over this, how about making the whole installation TT?
Not sure on the ins and outs of the radio itself - I know having loops in earthing systems is a bad idea.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to Adam_151 seems I don't need the isolation transformer makes things a little easier only just looked a HF I was only licensed in UK for VHF and above and on Falklands was all generators anyway.
Eric

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back