Multi-fuel stove - is it really necessary to open up the fireplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to install a multi-fuel stove, eco conforming etc. It's really small - the cardboard is the size of it - about 4-5 kwh to heat one room.
1934 semi. Had an open gas fire in there now removed, chimney swept and checked by registered Sweep and seems ok enough to burn a traditional fire with the new eco fuel.

Why do people install it in a widened chimney? Surely better freestanding on the hearth - as I've seen in houses without a chimney. All the heat then goes into the room.

Got 2 quotes and they both want to open out the fireplace at great expense £2-3000. Can't afford all that. Can't the liner go out the back of the stove and use the existing gap to the flue? Possible have to open that bit if not wide enough for the 5 inch liner? Extend the hearth a bit. The second image seems to be my type.

If I really have to remove the fireback is it safe to do it myself. Or at least do the hard labour and get somebody to pretty it up and install the liner etc?

Finally, maybe a pellet stove would be better as it doesn't get so hot?

Thanks for any advice from anyone who has done similar.

1663531450851.png
1663531522000.png

1663530490155.png
1663530531889.png
1663530571683.png
1663531374560.png

Sponsored Links
Found a "Stanley Stove" video that is exactly how I want my stove just leaving the existing fireplace more or less how it is.

1663706431903.png

You can do it like that but will end up with a massive hearth? You need a good amount of non combustible in front of the burner. I wish I had more....

Yes totally doable. My local pub has the same setup and it's what inspired mine. Don't have any pics to hand, but I opened my fireplace up about five years ago and didn't want the stove sat inside it, so I pulled it out so that around three quarters of the stove sits forward of the opening. I just had an off-set steel flue pipe fabricated, supported by one of those collar brackets.. You do need to have a larger hearth though as mentioned above.

Sponsored Links
Bottom line is, Stove must be installed in compliance with Regs, if it isn't (or you haven't got proof it is) your House Insurance will be void, should anything go wrong. Having had a stove installed myself a couple of years back, it is difficult to describe how hot they can get under the right circumstances, hence now I see the need for the non-combustible material fitted around the fireplace opening!

That's what I thought. Just logical but nobody wants to do it - so far! The depth of the stove as it's so small is only 29 cm but I can add a hearth extension to cover the regulations, probably one of the glass ones. The hearth is solid. Kind of stoveI was thinking are very small but amazing. Just to heat one room! With a back plate of course.

Last edited:
Bottom line is, Stove must be installed in compliance with Regs, if it isn't (or you haven't got proof it is) your House Insurance will be void, should anything go wrong. Having had a stove installed myself a couple of years back, it is difficult to describe how hot they can get under the right circumstances, hence now I see the need for the non-combustible material fitted around the fireplace opening!
Right. Though a free standing stove is perfectly OK if the distances are right. It is after all a fireplace meant for burning coal. and the height as you can see from the cardboard is not great. I want the heat in the room not walled in. In fact I want to be able to put a pan on it. No children here.

Had another brilliant idea (that don't usually work ;) ). If the chimney sweep can also uncap the chimney or fit new cowl etc why can't they put the liner in first and then I can get a Hetas engineer to install the stove, check it over etc. But no, apparently they have to use a Hetas man (so at least honest) but I can do it myself!!! It's a kind of monopoly. It would make sense for the Sweep guy to fit the liner to the new cowl as that bit is striaghtforward though fiddly by the looks of it and of course someone who's done it before will do it faster.
OK now discovered that if it's DIY you have to pay £600 or more to get it "signed off". It's all a bit of a racket. Of course it should be checked off but that's a ridiculous price.

Last edited:
Stove must be installed in compliance with Regs, if it isn't (or you haven't got proof it is) your House Insurance will be void
Only if the policy terms say this is the case. Insurance is much stricter than it used to be. The onus is on the insurer to be specific. There is no presumption.

Yea may be exaggerating. I'l check with my Council. A search says £150-£300
you must tell the council before commencement, then install according to there requirement or it wont be signed off if they are not happy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back