Multi fuel stove smoke seal, rock wool?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello group, I have recently fitted a multifuel stove, the 6" enamel flue slips inside a 8" clay liner, to seal the gap between the liner and the enamel pipe I was told that you can use rock wool, then seal with fire cement. I filled the gap initially with 9mm fibre glass rope, but its not a snug fit. Can anyone advise on whether rockwool can be used, or should I be getting thicker rope.
Kind regards Otto

Sponsored Links
Rope seal (3 turns high) and fire cement is normally recommended. Then some form of clamp or plate to hold the upper part of the stove pipe in place. The lower part is of course made into the appliance spigot. In any event your work will have to be inspected by LABC.

OK, will get thicker rope tomorrow. Will I need a clamp, the distance between the enamel flue pipe and where it enters the clay liner is approx 9", there isn't much room for movement. And will I need to get the fire inspected prior to fitting or can I take photo's and leave until its finished.
Regards Otto

A fire place converted over! That big stove looks claustrophobic in there!
Your clearances look disproportionate.

You should have removed the head (or fitted a new one) and raised it to have at least 400mm above the stove.
And remove the inner flaunching to leave a flat concrete base.

Some diyers are not capable of that though!

Then a black vitreous enamel flue looks the business and more heat extracted to the room.

Some stoves hang from the ceiling on a revolving flue with the flue maybe 6 or 8 meters long.
So all the flue heat goes to space heating.

Sponsored Links
looks like clearances will be wrong on that and if that is inspected it would fail. * dont you have to have a access point on them ? (i dont fit wood burners)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back