Multi-layer composite (MLC) pipes for plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used (or have an opinion on) MLC pipes? I need to have my flat replumbed due to corroded copper pipes and one plumber has recommended MLC pipes. He would put these into the floor, replacing the copper pipes.
The MLC pipes are made by a German company called Uponor.

Sponsored Links
The MLC pipes are made by a German company called Uponor.

Yes they are very good. Don't even entertain any quotes for plastic pushfit plumbing. Your only other option is soldered copper pipe which would be as expensive if not more so as the MLC option.

Thanks. By plastic pushfit pipes, do you mean PEX?

No more copper for me! I don't want to take any more risks on corrosion

Sponsored Links
No more copper for me! I don't want to take any more risks on corrosion

Copper pipes properly installed would proberbly last longer than composite pipe, and certainly last longer than you!

Hep barrier and JG Pipe has been used extensively all over this country,WHy is hteng scare mongering people!!!!

MLC is another fad which wont last in my opinion.how many people stock it,and how is the compatability with other pipes eg plastic or MDPE?? These are questions you need to ask yourself

Where as HEP and JG is carried by almost all plumbers merchants as well as the DIY sheds

Hep barrier and JG Pipe has been used extensively all over this country,WHy is hteng scare mongering people!!!!
Its not scaremongering its a fact that pushfit fittings have blown for no reason or 'o rings' disintegrated. Its low tech with no skills required unlike soldering. I'm no luddite and I have used pushfit (speedfit) which is the only system I would use. One of the other posters here even said they had a problem with a tectite fitting which was supposed to be the granddaddy of all those systems.

The OP asked for opinions and I gave mine. The MLC pipe is far superior to pushfit pipe.

have to agree with hteng, weve been using uponor for a couple of years now and have just swapped over to LK. it is a million times better than any pushfit.
we had a joint blow on a hep installation after it had been in for 5 months, lots of hastle with insurance. swore never to use pushfit again.

why did you switch from Uponor to LK?

Also, would you put MLC plumbing pipes under the floor or do they need to be exposed? LK's website says they are ideal where for cases where the pipes have to be exposed. That leads to another decision I need to make - whether to replace the existing pipes in the floor or to put the new pipes into the walls and ceilings, and possibly exposed, wherever possible.

For aesthetic reasons, I'd rather not have exposed pipes but if I had to do that I supposed I get them encased.

why did you switch from Uponor to LK?

For aesthetic reasons, I'd rather not have exposed pipes but if I had to do that I supposed I get them encased.

It is better to put them in boxing which can be removed. That is a lot less disruption than ripping out the wall. There should be no joints under the floor at all. The pipes should be laid into a larger tube or removable tray so they can be pulled out if was necessary, but the MLC pipes themselves usually have a 25 year warranty and are the same pipes encased in concrete for underfloor heating.

I'm glad I'm not the only one being realistic about pushfit plumbing!

We have used multilayer for a few years and consider ir very good can be run surface and you can pull a bend with it unlike pex. We have had a couple of weeps on this system where the o-ring has been pushed from its seating for this reason we use Wirsbo quick & easy the joints will never come apart and we've never had a leak with it and most importantly you can never forget to do a joint as you can with soldered or multilayer.

can you recommend a plumber serving london (islington n1) who is experienced and good at repiping using pex or mulitilayer? i have to repipe my ground foor. thanks

Does anyone know anything about this? It's from the website of a law firm in California (I found it while googling wirsbo).
http://www.audetlaw.com/case.php?id=105

"Class action lawsuits have been filed against the manufacturers of Uponor / Wirsbo "PEX" plumbing sytems, and Uponor / Wirsbo fittings used in residential construction: Uponor, the manufacturer of Uponor PEX and fittings has been sued.

Uponor / Wirsbo plumbing systems and fittings may allegedly fail prematurely causing leaks and water damage to your property. At least one expert evaluation has found that Uponor / Wirsbo fittings may have a manufacturing defect that can cause corrosion. Corrosion can result in leaks and other problems with your plumbing system.

Uponor / Wirsbo PEX plumbing systems for residential and commercial applications use crosslinked polyethylene (PEX) tubing instead of metal piping to distribute the water.

Uponor / Wirsbo plumbing systems and fittings allegedly may fail when they are exposed to water because of a chemical reaction known as dezincification, which results in reduced water flow and leaks. Dezincified Uponor / Wirsbo plumbing systems and fittings cause damage not only when they burst and leak, but also impair the ability of a home's plumbing system to effectively provide water to appliances and fixtures.

If you or someone you know have incurred property damage or economic losses due to failed Uponor / Wirsbo plumbing systems and fittings, or if you believe Uponor / Wirsbo plumbing systems and fittings may have been used in your home, contact Audet & Partners at 800.965.1461 and ask to speak with attorney Michael McShane. You may also email us using the form on the right.

That looks like an ambulance chasing firm looking for work - they would love pushfit :LOL: . You can buy DZR fittings but the regular ones are sold and used all the time. I would contact Uponor UK and ask them if the fittings are DZR or if you have to pay extra for that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back