Washing wachine and tricky plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having my bathroom retiled and plumbing for a washing machine installed. However, I've today been contacted by my plumber warning me about the location we want to put the washing machine in. Unfortunately due to the layout of the flat this is the only location we can put the washing machine in and the only alternative is having no washing machine.

There is very old copper piping running under the floor where the washing machine will be located. The pipes will be buried into the floor in concrete and the washing machine will be sitting on a box platform about six inches above the floor level.

The problem the plumber has identified is that when the washing machine is on it will cause vibrations to travel through the box platform (ply wood) and into the concrete directly blow in which the pipes are located. Because the pipes are old there is a real risk that after a few months of use the pipes will fail and leak.

Is there anything we can do to mitigate the risk? Unfortunately, the cost of replacing the copper pipes with plastic is too expensive.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Sponsored Links
There may well be a risk but without a lot more information & inspection it’s impossible to say how real the risk is. Exactly how old are these pipes & what is the “plumber” basing their risk assesment on? On the one hand you may have a conscientious plumber but on the other, I’m wondering if they are just “growing” the job & angling for more work; have they quoted you for replacing the pipes?

You don’t need plastic anyway, it has its uses but, personally, I would never use or have it in my own property.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't worry about it. I am sure there are lots of washers sitting over
copper pipes in concrete with no problems.

Can't quite understand why you would need to put it on a 6 inch box platform above the floor. Seems a bit mad.
Get some thick rubber and put the feet of the washer onto these to help
isolate the washer from the floor.

Is there nowhere near the kitchen sink? Even
if you have to take a cupboard out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back