Washing machine drainage problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Hoping someone can help me out with a suggestion for a problem! My mother in law has just moved into a high rise flat, which unfortunately seems to be never have been plumbed for a washing machine. I have found a cold water pipe which had a cap onit, to which I have fitted a washing machine valve, so this allows an input of cold water, that’s ok. However I can see no place for the waste to go!

If you can see the layout from the diagram, the main waste pipe, which the bath water and kitchen water drain into, is located in a small cavity, basically between the two rooms. The bath drains into this waste, along a length of approximately 3 meters with about a 6 inch drop along the way. Situated near the end of this pipe is a stack pipe about a foot in height, with the end sealed up. The kitchen sink does not have a bend with a washing machine waste outlet in it, although if it did, the flexible waste pipe from the washing machine would not reach to it without an extension.

Now, what I first thought to do was obviously to use the sealed off stack pipe to run the washing machine waste, so I got a longer piece of pipe (about a metre in length) and substituted that, and fed the washing machine outlet into that, which worked fine, until I noticed the bath was filling up with the water from the machine, and other gunk which I guess had been forced back up the pipe. I’m presuming here that this was due to the short fall between the bath waste to the waste pipe, and that the pipe couldn’t cope, or drain all the water away from the washing machine adequately, and this is why it backed up into the bath.

So, my other idea is to get another flexible drain pipe for the washing machine, and use it to extend the existing one, by using some sort of jointing pipe, this would make the whole run of flexible pipe around 4 meters. Then removing the existing trap under the kitchen sink, replacing it with a washing machine waste version, and routing the waste from the washing machine to there.

In theory, this sounds fine to me, but I’m a little concerned about the length of the flexible hose. It would have to come from the bottom of the washing machine and rise up about a meter, before it enters the waste, over a run of around 4 meters. Does this sound ok? Would the washing machine pump cope? Should I forget this course of action and go back and try something else with the stack pipe in the section that drains from the bath? Or is there an other alternative?

Any, and I mean any, advice is greatly appreciated.

plumbing.jpg

Sponsored Links
how far is it from wm to the right hand corner where the sink waste gos into the wall ?

Hi,

I would say that its about a a metre and a half from the sink trap to the wall, then about another 18 inches on the other side where until it hits the main waste pipe. An the distance from where the washing machine is, to where the sink drain hits the wall is probably about 1 metre. Although this distance is supposing the washine machine is in place, it would need about considerably longer (possibly 3 meters to enable the pipe to be connected at that point before washing machine was pushed into place, as I wouldnt be able to access any point in the cavity, once the washing machine was in place. (The only access to this cavity is behind the washing machine!).

Another thing that I didnt mention is that the place where the washing machine is, is the only place it can go, ie that due to the way the kitchen units are, It couldn't be sited anywhere else, closer to the sink for example.

Sponsored Links
That looks like the thing! Thanks for your help, it's appeciated! :D

I think the hose in the drainage is the problem. Well, try to check it out and see if that is the problem. But if you see nothing in it, go back to the store where you bought it. I'm sure a warranty does it all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back