Plumbing in a washing machine in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

2 Qs please...

First of all will an electrician put a socket in a bathroom approx 70-80cm away from the sink?

Secondly, we want to plumb in our washing machine there. There is a flexible pipe going into the sink. Can you use this to plumb in the washing machine?

Can someone talk me through how to do it.

Many thanks

Tim

Sponsored Links
no a socket has to be at least 3m away from zone 1,
you wash your dishes in the bathroom ?
is the washing machine suitable for installing in zone 2 or 3 ?

its for a washing machine not a dishwasher!

so its not possible to put a washing machine next to a sink? there is a washing machine right by my sink in the kitchen ?!

there is no shower or bath in the room

Sponsored Links
a sink is in a kitchen used for washing up
a basin is in a bathroom used for washing your face
;)

Sockets

Historically, 13A general purpose mains sockets have not been permitted in bathrooms at all. The 17th edition has introduced a slight relaxation of this, but it will only apply for very large bathrooms since it permits a socket to be installed as long as it is at least 3m from the outer edge of zone 2.

http://postimage.org/app.php

i think they can be used interchangeably :D

cheers - so more than 60cm from tap is ok?!

do you know if you can plumb directly into the sink / basin/ bowl with water?

a socket shouldn't be installed within 3m of the edge of zone 2, so while the machine will be in zone 3 (no longer used), it's good practice to class the area around the basin tap (600mm) to be zone 2, so my view would be w/m yes socket no

cheers - so more than 60cm from tap is ok?!
There is no zone around a basin tap, or any other tap.
That '60cm radius' is tripe cobbled together by some ignorant lighting manufacturer years ago.

Therefore:
First of all will an electrician put a socket in a bathroom approx 70-80cm away from the sink?
They will if you pay them to.

Secondly, we want to plumb in our washing machine there. There is a flexible pipe going into the sink. Can you use this to plumb in the washing machine?
What is this flexible pipe? If it's the one already connected to the washing machine, then yes, that is used with either of these items - the standpipe type is preferable and for a basin is likely to be the only realistic option.

48286.jpg
77636.jpg

If the flexible pipe is one of those Ikea contraptions fixed to the waste outlet of the basin, then the entire lot will need to be ripped out and replaced with the proper fittings.

except those fittings are designed for 40mm waste pipe (the correct size for a washing machine) not 32mm that a basin uses

There is a flexible pipe going into the sink. Can you use this to plumb in the washing machine?
What is this flexible pipe?
I think this refers to water supply, not waste removal.

Regarding electrical supply, is it feasible to drill a hole in the wall, fit a socket with integral RCD on the other side of the wall, feed wire through wall, fit cover plates to smarten up?

Why would you do that when we've already established its ok to have a socket in a w.c.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back