Plumbing for a washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please bear with me, I am a total nvoice with plumbing as I am sure you will gather!

We have bought a dishwasher, which we are putting into the kitchen where the washing machine used to be. Thats no problem at all.

We plan to put the washing machine in the downstairs bathroom near to the small basin. I have the plumbing for the water connection sorted (i think), but am not sure what to do about the waste.

The basin uses 32mm pipes, and a 32mm bottle trap. The waste goes outside, again through 32mm pipe. Ideally I dont want to change the sink/taps at this stage, but am told we should be using 40mm pipes for the waste from the washing machine.

What can we do?

Replace all the pipe work and trap to 40mm? But how do I plumb from the sink (32mm) on to the new 40mm waste? I cannot find a 32mm to 40mm "convertor", I only seem to be able to find a 40mm to 32mm.

Or shall I just pop the washing machine waste directly into a short standpipe on the waste, AFTER the bottle trap. The drain then only runs for about 40cm before its outside intot he drain.

I hope this makes sense, let me know if it doesnt and maybe I can post a pic.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Use a 40mm standpipe for the dw waste. Drill a new hole through the wall. Or get a plumber to do it with a diamond core drill - would take all of 5 minutes in average brick. Or hire the kit yourself but not from HSS££.

Right. That might be the simplest, but space might be an issue which is why I was thinking of plumbing into the existing waste.

However, if I did jut go for a new pipe for the washing machine, would it be ok at an angle of around 45 degrees? And would I need a trap of any kind or just a straight through waste pipe?

Sponsored Links
HELLO!. you want to plumb up an electrical freestanding appliance in the bathroom next to a sink. Where u gona plug it in. Or may be run it off an O/Flue gas boiler in there as well.BREACH OF REGULATIONS.

Yes, we want to put an electrical freestanding appliance (a washing machine to be precise) into our downstairs bathroom. FYI, its more of a utility room, and rarely used as a bathroom.

I didnt ask about the electrical side, only the plumbing side. If I need any help with the electrics - which I dont, I'll be sure to ask.

If you join to the smaller waste.it could be overcome by the vol. of water pumped out..later, one day when you`re out :cry: Hire the core drill ;)

It makes sense.

Ideally I want to convert all the pipework to 40mm (the trap and the pipe to the outside drain) which would be easy. EXCEPT, the sink has a 32mm plug hole. Is there such thing as a 32mm to 40mm convertor? As I say, I can find a 40mm to 32mm but not the other way around!

Or is there another way around the sink being 32mm?

Replace the 32mm pipe with 40 and connect the 32mm trap to it with a standard adaptor after a short bit of 32 pipe. You'll still need a new hole through the wall! You'll have 2 traps.

OK.

Had another look, and another tought.

After the existing 32mm trap, the pipe to the outside drain is at 45 degrees and runs for only about 40 - 50cm directly to the outside. I have seen a self cutting waste adapter. Would it be suitable to add one of those on to the final piece of 32mm waste and attach the washing machine to that??

You really don`t want to drill that hole :LOL: ...yeah, go for the adapter...this is cyberspace,and I`m not getting paid for this typing.I just don`t care :LOL: :LOL:

:)

Prefer not to drill the whole if poss. I have the drill, so thats no problem, but didnt want another pipe outside if I could help it :)

Suggest you read the info in the electrical section thoroughly before installing electrical equipment in a bathroom. You might be making a big mistake doing this.

superdon said:
:)

Prefer not to drill the whole if poss. I have the drill, so thats no problem, but didnt want another pipe outside if I could help it :)
But whyDon why.my house looks like a HammondorganDon :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back