MultiFinish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am plastering around the window reveal after removing the tiles.
I have some multifinish for skimming but it says to spread about 1 to 2mm thick.
Trouble is the reveal is really badly out of square.
I reckon to square it up the plaster will have to come out to at least 8mm thick like a cheese wedge!
Can I use multifinish to this depth or will I have to do it in layers filling out gradually, or use the patching plaster first with a thin layer of multi on top?
Thanks
G.

Sponsored Links
Personally I would use Bonding plaster to level it off first & then skim. Multi can be applied 2-5mm thick so you could build it up in, say, 3 coats but it may well craze badly if you dont get it right.

Are you using an angle bead around the outside edge of the reveal?

Hi Richard
I will be building up on the existing one. I was hoping to avoid putting another one in. I am skimming the wall as well. I was going to fix a batten on wall level on the vertical both ways to give me a guide to plaster up to.
G.

If you’re skimming the wall as well, I’d definitely fix another thin coat angle bead on there after you squared up the reveal. It'll give you a nice straight edge to work to rather than trying & "feather" which, because of the grit size in Multi, can be difficult for the inexperienced; working up to a new bead will make your life a whole lot easier & a sharp plaster corner will also damage more easily.

Sponsored Links
Hi
I presume you can get 'thin coat angle bead' then.
I was trying to avoid it because as I remember the angle bead I last used sits quite proud from the wall.
I didn't expect to put that much plaster on the wall!
Thanks
I'll let you know how I get on.
G.

working up to a new bead will make your life a whole lot easier & a sharp plaster corner will also damage more easily.

Thoroughly agree with Richard. Thin corner bead (for example)
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Plasterboard-Anglebead/invt/240322
(cheaper in packs of 10 also - or can search elesewhere)

I had to do similar to yourself to sort my reveals earlier in the year, following double glazing fitting. The house has 90 degree plaster corners that were just plaster. These have got chipped in places. The extra strength of a bead is now good.
I had to use some Bonding also, as there were some big holes where the undercoat plaster had come away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back