multifuel stove with back boiler installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
I'm a regular reader of your pages and have picked up loads of handy hints in the past - and now it's my turn to ask for help.

I'm about to install a multifuel stove (which I've yet to buy) to replace a Rayburn Rhapsody which gave up the ghost after 40 years of good solid service. While I'm at it I'm removing the old hot water cylinder which was in a cupboard next to the fire place and moving it upstairs.

It's a really old farm house (C1600-ish)so it's been interesting taking out the old brickwork around the fire place and uncovering past fireplaces and slowly making my way back to the original stonework in the inglenook. :eek:

now - when i phoned my builder merchant for a cylinder he started umming and sucking air whilst mumbling something about "stretched coil cylinders". Neither I nor anyone I know have heard of these before.

Also he said that the plumbing is very complicated and refused to say why!
I'm an experienced electrician and instrument craftsman with a basic knowledge of plumbing- what's he on about???

any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Ignore him. What do you want to know to help you with what you want to do?

now - when i phoned my builder merchant for a cylinder he started umming and sucking air whilst mumbling something about "stretched coil cylinders". Neither I nor anyone I know have heard of these before.

You'll find it's his way of describing a gravity coil.

Sponsored Links
Ignore him. What do you want to know to help you with what you want to do?

I just need to know what kind of cylinder I need really - the builder merchant threw a few spanners in the equation! (running a vent pipe isn't a problem)

Also if anyone has a schematic of the layout for the plumbing it would be muchly appreciated (just to confirm what I'm about to do is the safest and most efficient way).
I'm only heating my water -not installing any rads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back