Mantel for multifuel stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm having a multifuel stove fitted, but the mantelpiece which was installed as part of a package deal with my current open gas fire is veneered MDF, which I know is not suitable for the heat the stove will throw out.

I cannot afford a marble or stone mantel, is a solid wood mantel suitable?

jon

Sponsored Links
Solid timber will have the same safety issues as veneered MDF, I guess.
Time for a stone one, if its close to your stove.
John :)

You see many installation with solid wood mantels. I guessed the reason MDF is no good is because it is a composite of glue and wood dust, and the glue would heat up, smell, and the overall structure would deform?

Is solid wood ok, as long as it has sufficient clearance around the stove (I was advised 18" by the stove supplier (Artisan, Brighouse)?

Jon

A bit late here but we fitted a big plank of cedar to the wall above the stove using mirror plates, so that the plank can be removed for decorating. Looks as if it's a proper mantel.

Sponsored Links
Combustible material needs to be "3Xwidthofflue" away from flue pipe or 1.5 times away if wood is protected and there is 1.2cm air gap between protection and said combustible material.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back