Multifuel stove installation gone wrong - what can I do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am rubbish at DIY, so I have paid to have a multifuel stove installed by someone who knows what they are doing!

Yesterday they opened up the fireplace and installed the register plate. I was going to have just a plain opening, no surround. However, the opening is fairly high, which means I can see the plate really clearly when I sit on the sofa to watch TV. I would prefer not to see it - it's not the prettiest thing!

Is there a way of putting an (incombustable) lip on the upper edge of the fireplace so that the register plate is hidden?

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with fixing a piece of metal. Stainless steel?

Or paint the register plate with some black stove paint?

The plate should be at least 300mm above the stove. The pattern of the bricks may have made it necessary to put the new lintel one brick, 76mm, higher. Look at my lintel:

That is UNCANNILY like how my fireplace looks at the moment!! :LOL: There is a lot of space for the stove, but I guess that means it'll be more efficient?

I rang the installer and his advice was to fix a lip made of fire-resistant plasterboard to the front of the fireplace when the replastering work is done, and then he will add a heat shield to the rear side to protect it. Does this sound OK?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back