Multifuel stove regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We currently have a nasty 70s glossy brick fire surround in the living room of our new house. I am planning to rip this out and install a multifuel stove in the opening.

I need to know what sort/size of stoves I can realistically look at. What are the regulations around installing a multifuel stove? ie...

- How much space has to be left either side and above the stove in the opening?
- Are there any restrictions on the size of stove compared to the size of the room? Room is roughly 6x5m

Cheers

Chris

Sponsored Links
Firstly you will either have to have a registered installer do the work or make a Building Regulations application to you local authority. If you live in an area where burners are common they will know exactly what you need to do, ask the same question in a area that doesn't have solid fuel and..... good luck!

Things to consider:

-Are you in a smoke control area (contact environmental health)
-What is the condition/type of existing flue
-Background ventilation requirements

The size of your existing flue will dictate the maximum output of the appliance not the room size and roughly speaking you need a 50mm concrete hearth and 150mm clearance to masonry materials. Approved document J has the full details and would be worth a read. Check the planning portal link to Building Regulations. Alternatively if you can't find it pm me and I will email you a copy.

Good advice there & it's too late to answer in more detail; do a search, there are many archive postings on what you need to do, many from me. If youve no luck finding what you want, bounce it again.

Sponsored Links
There are really too many variables to give a list of what to do and how. The most important thing is to ensure the flue and fireplace are suitable and the right size for your stove and that you have correct ventilation. After that I would not have a stove too big for the room.

A lot of people know that gas fires can give off killer fumes if not installed correctly but don't realise that solid fuel stoves can as well. A Hetas registered installer is the best person to approach.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back